Question Smart car dashboard?

Leoli

Great
Apr 29, 2021
I've recently been thinking about a project for a smart car dashboard and I designed the UI interface. If there was really such a dashboard, would anyone use it?

USAFRet

Illustrious
I personally dislike touchscreens in cars, for all but the most trivial functions.

Unlike tactile buttons/knobs/switches, they require you to take your eyes off the road.
Right now, I can adjust the A/C, window up/down, work the radio...all while still looking out the windshield and driving the car.

Then you bring in a whole host of other issues:
Gloves in the winter, bumpy roads, screen calibration...

hang-the-9

Titan
I've recently been thinking about a project for a smart car dashboard and I designed the UI interface. If there was really such a dashboard, would anyone use it?

Many manufactures already offer this, Mercedes, Tesla, etc... Many of them are not given good reviews for usability vs a normal control layout with knobs and buttons.

Leoli

Great
Apr 29, 2021
Thanks for your replies, I have considered this kind of problem myself, I have seen many touch screens placed between the driver and co-driver to play music, watch navigation, etc., but I really haven't seen them set up as touch screens on the dashboard either.

I'm trying to use a serial screen for this project, but it doesn't seem to be very well appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

COLGeek

Cybernaut
I personally dislike touchscreens in cars, for all but the most trivial functions.

Unlike tactile buttons/knobs/switches, they require you to take your eyes off the road.
Right now, I can adjust the A/C, window up/down, work the radio...all while still looking out the windshield and driving the car.

Then you bring in a whole host of other issues:
Gloves in the winter, bumpy roads, screen calibration...
I think redundancy (with traditional controls) is a must as well. What happens when the screen is kaput/malfunctioning?

ASK THE COMMUNITY