Solved! Smart Lock or Doorbell

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 18, 2021
Hi,

I’m looking for some advice. I’d like to buy a smart lock for my rented home, but I’m not sure it’s possible because of the lock in my front door.

Ideally, my ultimate aim is to have someone arrive at my door, such as my Mum, ring the doorbell, and I’m on the sofa, struggling with pain from my disability. I can see that it’s her at the door, by looking at the live feed on my iPhone, and either press a button to let her in, or she can use her own key or passcode because she’s my Mum.

As a back up to that, at the very least I want to have a smart doorbell that someone can press and I can see who it is on my phone, and ask them to give me time to get up to the door.

An added complication to this is that I have a doorbell currently, but I don’t know why it’s not working, and whether I would need to get a wired doorbell or not, and whether it’s worth just getting in an electrician to figure some of this out, and then potentially to install a Smart Doorbell.

I’m a little lost with the different options and permutations, and would really appreciate any help you can provide.

Solution
I do not know the specifics of the Echo. I am not in that market base...don't want one.

For those people who do not know the code...when they are at the door, they can call/text. You then can text them the standard 3rd/4th party key.

"Here ya go, Press 1234. Come on in."
Nov 18, 2021
Are people responding to this? My emails are saying so but I don't see them here...

For those who have replied, I cannot have a Smart Lock, as far as I know, because I have a double cylinder lock. So I'm looking to get a Smart Doorbell instead, but if my current home has a doorbell that doesn't appear to have a chime, do I need to sort that out first?

USAFRet

Illustrious
Are people responding to this? My emails are saying so but I don't see them here...

For those who have replied, I cannot have a Smart Lock, as far as I know, because I have a double cylinder lock. So I'm looking to get a Smart Doorbell instead, but if my current home has a doorbell that doesn't appear to have a chime, do I need to sort that out first?
Replies were made, but they were just SPAM, and summarily deleted.

Can you have a keypad lock?
If so, install one, and generate a specific code for friends and relatives.
Give that to only them. It is what I do for my kids/grandkids.
I have a code, my wife has a code, they have a 3rd one.

Nov 18, 2021
Replies were made, but they were just SPAM, and summarily deleted.

Can you have a keypad lock?
If so, install one, and generate a specific code for friends and relatives.
Give that to only them. It is what I do for my kids/grandkids.
I have a code, my wife has a code, they have a 3rd one.
I have a keypad lock that is very basic, which can work for close family, but we need a doorbell for those who won’t have access to that key, and being able to ask for more time to get to the door when I’m unwell is so important.

There’s also the safety factor that a Smart Doorbell will allow me. I’ve lived in flats for years where I could check who was at the door before opening it.

USAFRet

Illustrious
I do not know the specifics of the Echo. I am not in that market base...don't want one.

For those people who do not know the code...when they are at the door, they can call/text. You then can text them the standard 3rd/4th party key.

"Here ya go, Press 1234. Come on in."

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.