Solved! Smart locks stupid question time - is it only the deadbolt?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cgilley

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2003
So I'm getting a new entry door later this week, and I'm considering a smart lock to control access. I need this because when I'm working in the yard, the kids lock me out of the house. That said, I've started my search.

For a front entry door, typically you have heavier, more ornate hardware with a locking lever/knob and a deadbolt. These can be separate, but many are one integral unit. So, that's my perception: two devices to operate to enter the house.

What I am finding is that the vast majority of "smart locks" apply only to the deadbolt. This leaves me a bit confused as the situation implies the knob or lever that actually opens the door has no lock at all.

Am I missing something?

Solution
You are correct in your assumption that many smart locks are just the deadbolt variety. However, there are a few with integrated levers, such as the Lockly, which can be found on our best smart locks page. Schlage also has a Connected Keypad Lever lock, and there's also the Yale Assure Lever smart lock.

mprospero

Senior Editor
Oct 4, 2013
You are correct in your assumption that many smart locks are just the deadbolt variety. However, there are a few with integrated levers, such as the Lockly, which can be found on our best smart locks page. Schlage also has a Connected Keypad Lever lock, and there's also the Yale Assure Lever smart lock.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.