Smart Phone Antenna

theboombird

Honorable
Dec 22, 2012
I was wondering if anyone knew of the basic design of a smart phone's antenna?

I am currently trying to build a DIY antenna without any prior knowledge in the matter (This is proving to be quite hard). I have scoured the internet for helpful information, but most questions are more along the lines of troubleshooting rather than design. Anyway, I am looking for any help anyone might be able to give (please in Layman's terms, I don't want my head to explode). Also a diagram would be quite helpful!

Sincerely,
TheBoombird

tiktin

Honorable
Apr 30, 2013
It's really simple. The cell phone manufacturers made a huge mistake when they removed the external antenna from their phones. Most cell phones now don't even have an antenna port. Your best bet is to find yourself a small telescoping antenna from an old transistor radio. Adjust the antenna to the length you need by dividing the speed of light by the frequency your service provider operates on. The speed of light is roughly 10 to the ninth feet per second. In the United States GSM phones operate at 1,900 MHz, so your antenna length will need to be about 6.3 inches. (Actually some of the data transmission operates on 1,700 MHz and I believe in Europe voice operates on 1,700 as well). Find out where the internal antenna is in your smartphone (mine is along the bottom). Now tape the end of the external antenna next to your internal antenna with little bit of electrical tape, with the external antenna parallel to the internal antenna. You will have to experiment to find the best place to tape it. I can't guarantee that this will work on all phones. It worked on mine, which is a T-mobile Concord. The phone went from no bars without the external antenna to two bars with it. I taped the antenna along the bottom of the phone. Another trick which I have found works really well is to put the phone over the internal antenna of a modern all-in-one wireless printer (usually over the right front corner). The gets me from no bars to three, but this way you cant walk around with the phone. You have to use it where it is. (Turn on the speaker). Finally, remember that it takes the phone about a minute to acquire the signal. Be patient and give it a chance. Hope this helps.