Smartphones Consume 74 Percent Less Power Via Proxy

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

yea, but rooting your phone gives you alot of battery time aswell. cant see how this improves much over that..

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
I don't get it. The phone accesses web sites through a proxy instead of talking to web site servers themselves. But the phone still has to give every request to the proxy now, there won't be a reduction in requests will there? I didn't know web site rendering takes so much battery juice, maybe it is the data compression that they are claiming will gain battery life because the phone's 3G adapter isn't used as heavily.

G

So basically they are saying less time wifi/mobile data is active = less power consumption. Really...

Goldengoose

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2011
[citation][nom]danwat1234[/nom]I don't get it. The phone accesses web sites through a proxy instead of talking to web site servers themselves. But the phone still has to give every request to the proxy now, there won't be a reduction in requests will there? I didn't know web site rendering takes so much battery juice, maybe it is the data compression that they are claiming will gain battery life because the phone's 3G adapter isn't used as heavily.[/citation]

It works the same sort of way as Online (the gaming service) does. Most websites reference external sources to build the page you are viewing (ad's are a common source) which for a smartphone at the time consists of establishing and maintaining several different contacts - also require extra processing power.

If you proxy it, you offload all the extra processing and several connections to a terminal that isn't restricted by power or speed, which will then render it and send it in one smooth stream to you phone. Like i mentioned, Online has a similar principle in that you can play crysis on your TV.

fordry06

Distinguished
May 21, 2009
[citation][nom]mobrocket[/nom]well hopefully Kenyans can get their Iphones and internet access so they can text us their scams for money....they dont have power, but have phone coverage... makes sense to me[/citation]

They don't have the infrastructure that we do. They do have power to towns and villages, but even then, the vast majority of the population is too poor to pay for electricity. However, it is much simpler to put up a cell tower that covers miles of territory, powered by generators if no electrical lines are nearby, and then everyone all around it has cell signal.

Africans have solar panels and each village will have several people who have purchased a solar panel and then people pay them to charge their cell phone so cell phones are a great way for africans to communicate. Their cell services are cheaper than the US as well so that helps.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
If this research is quantified then perhaps mobile carriers can use this opportunity to reduce data going through their networks, and bring down price of the data plans.

Status
Not open for further replies.