Software UI Replaces Blocky Interface in Windows 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamesSneed

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
Why MS did not build this option into Windows 8 baffles me. I have a feeling most businesses wont use this tool because they will not be using Windows 8. Most large businesses are just now migrating to Windows 7, Windows 8 will be the new Vista to bushiness.

G

so now we only have to pay for win8 and then a little extra for having a ui that works on a pc.....

Rightttttttt... nope, not gonna happen

thinix is prob owned by MS ^^

killabanks

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011
i tried it i will not buy it ...vista was better this is going to be the new ME
if it has me thinking about mac os and i hate apple... then damn

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
[citation][nom]jamessneed[/nom]Why MS did not build this option into Windows 8 baffles me. I have a feeling most businesses wont use this tool because they will not be using Windows 8. Most large businesses are just now migrating to Windows 7, Windows 8 will be the new Vista to bushiness.[/citation]

Actually a large number of businesses and schools still use XP. The business world seems to get a lot of attention with the question of whether they will adopt or not, but they have always been slow to take up new software anyway.

AndrewMD

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008
All the complaining on this site from people that will be using Windows 8 secretly.... Honestly, if you don't like the interface, don't like the version, or just plain don't like Microsoft move on...

For the vast majority of consumers and small businesses that purchase their computers from retail, Windows 8 will be installed and they will use it.

If you truly are a techie person, when someone calls for support on their Windows 8 computer, you will not have the training or skill to help them which is fine by the majority of other Windows 8 trained technicians willing to take your place.

AndrewJacksonZA

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
I really didn't like the not-called-Metro-anymore UI, but the more I've used Windows 8 the more transparent it has become. I hardly notice it anymore.

For context: I spend the majority of my time on the traditional desktop, so every time I access the Start menu I go back to the metro UI. When I check the weather, back to the Metro UI I go. I'm also using a desktop, not a laptop, netbook or tablet.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
[citation][nom]AndrewMD[/nom]All the complaining on this site from people that will be using Windows 8 secretly.... Honestly, if you don't like the interface, don't like the version, or just plain don't like Microsoft move on... For the vast majority of consumers and small businesses that purchase their computers from retail, Windows 8 will be installed and they will use it. If you truly are a techie person, when someone calls for support on their Windows 8 computer, you will not have the training or skill to help them which is fine by the majority of other Windows 8 trained technicians willing to take your place.[/citation]
So, according to you, all complainers are trolls a-priori...
Also, you do realize that you're complaining about people that are complaining, right? That makes you kind of a troll, according to your own logic.

People are entitled to their own opinion. Some of them might be trolls, but even so, what gives? I get it, you like the Metro UI, knock yourself out with it. Others might not like it, let them be.
I, for one, prefer to try something before making my own decision whether to buy it or not. Both sides are making valid points so far. My Win7 machines run smoother than a baby's butt, no reason for me to jump on the next thing yet.

festa_freak

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2007
Why on earth would I upgrade to this. Even if metro didn't exist, there isn't enough to get a guy like me to upgrade from win7. I was on XP until win7 came out (with a short spurt of vista that came on a laptop, quickly got rid of that). Win7 will continue to serve me well for a long time.

G

It's really sad when it takes a third party company to fix a new OS.

Windows 8 should have a skull and crossbones warning label on the box that starts off by list these two words "Caveat Emptor".

What a total POS

eiskrystal

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
Another way to avoid the interface is to not install Windows 8 in the first place. Sorry AndrewMD but i am still on XP for my home computer and vista for my laptop. It will be a few years yet before I intend to either support or regularly use a new OS.

I will let the noobs buy their spanky new software and beta test all those bugs out of it first.

schnitter

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
I can't believe I fell for the "click to zoom" again. Clicked it once, new page showed it same sized, clicked once more for it to open on a new window, and SAME SIZE! Come on Toms, I'll lend you some space in my personal website if you have such little bandwidth to afford for high res pictures.

CaedenV

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2011
Really Kevin???? Not a big deal moving from win3.1 to win95?
Apparently you do not remember how win95 was unstable, would not run most programs available at the time, was considered huge bloatware in the days of Pentium1&2 processors, and adopted a completely different look that confused people (adding the start menu, removing the top mac style menu bar, etc.).

People were so uninformed at the time that I even remember business being afraid of the new start menu because of the hover to open start menu system was considered a 'security risk' because business users (obviously not anyone who had seen the software in action) believed that the mouse could open stuff all on its own without user interaction.

Back then the change up to win95 was so bad and disruptive from a software standpoint, and end users were so uneducated/miseducated about computers that it caused huge problems and waves of panic which never really subsided until the release of win98.

Yes, win8 is VERY different from win7. Yes, it will cause some confusion issues for users. But not so different as to cause the same sorts of issues as the move from 3.1 to win95. From a software perspective win8 is awesome, being largely backwards compatible for just about all software available from win2K on, and generally faster and more efficient with hardware than win7/Vista (except if you have less than 2GB of ram then it runs terribly on both the 32 and 64 bit versions). On the end-user side there are already tons of video tutorials and reviews on how to use it which were simply unavailable to users back win 1996 when the start menu was introduced, and people know what to expect (weather they like it or not) because MS has a great preview/open beta process which was also not available back in the day.

CaedenV

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2011
[citation][nom]AndrewJacksonZA[/nom]I really didn't like the not-called-Metro-anymore UI, but the more I've used Windows 8 the more transparent it has become. I hardly notice it anymore.For context: I spend the majority of my time on the traditional desktop, so every time I access the Start menu I go back to the metro UI. When I check the weather, back to the Metro UI I go. I'm also using a desktop, not a laptop, netbook or tablet.[/citation]
That was my experience as well. Tried it on the desktop back in December and the metro UI bugged me for about a week until I realized that I rarely had to use it, and I just avoided it most of the time. Then I 'ended up' with a touch screen netbook and started using the metro UI more regularly and the whole thing started to make sense. The problem is not so much that there is anything wrong with the Metro interface, it is more an issue of that the metro UI is not well organized when you first get into it. Move the desktop to 1st position, followed by commonly used tiles like your email, chat, calender, and weather, and then organize the rest of the crap in groups of utilities, games, office/productivity applications, etc, and all the sudden you get something entirely more useful than the start menu ever was.
With the latest RTM release they fixed a lot of the keys/mouse usability problems with metro, and it is equally useful as it is on a touchscreen. I understand that it is still not everyone's cup of tea, but after you use it a week or two and organize things a bit it really makes win7 feel limited and old. I now use metro about as often as I use desktop, and often have a metro app (like music, weather, or a card game) snapped on a side.

rebel1280

Distinguished
May 7, 2011
[citation][nom]AndrewMD[/nom]All the complaining on this site from people that will be using Windows 8 secretly.... Honestly, if you don't like the interface, don't like the version, or just plain don't like Microsoft move on... For the vast majority of consumers and small businesses that purchase their computers from retail, Windows 8 will be installed and they will use it. If you truly are a techie person, when someone calls for support on their Windows 8 computer, you will not have the training or skill to help them which is fine by the majority of other Windows 8 trained technicians willing to take your place.[/citation]
Our business and any business that takes credit cards will NEED to move on to a new OS after 2014 to stay PCI compliant. That being said, if you purchase from Dell, HP, CDW etc you have the option of OS installed or if any OS is installed at all. Due to the backlash of Vistas poor performance, ALL consumers had the option to have XP installed instead until Win 7 was release. Vendors understand that their consumers are us, not MS. They will make the best efforts to get their products out the door. If that means offering a "downgrade" to Win 7, you better believe they will do it. By all means, please spend money on getting certified on Windows 8 to support it and spend the hours studying for it. Most of the people in IT will not be doing either. The rest of us will gladly let you support it while we stay on track to support Win 7 until 2020 and get relevant certs such as Server 2012 and the Sonicwall certs, another whole issue, i actually kinda like Server 2012 and its hyper-visor updates :)

AndrewJacksonZA

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
With regards to speed, Win8 feels much, much, MUCH smoother than 7 on m Core2Duo E6750 with 4GB of DDR2 RAM. Everything feels a whole bunch snappier and the boot and shutdown times are GREAT! Startup was about 2min37sec, now it's 34sec.

G

1st of all , I cant believe someone using Vista is calling people noobs :p . But most importantly , there are so many options out there , use Win7 , you dont have to upgrade . I am already looking at other options too ,

Linux beeing one of them . Linux only lacks gaming support atm . And while dual boot is kind of a hassle , I managed to get 85% of my games to work on linux mint with latest wine . I do understand that most guys dont want to spend time researching all that , but who doesnt have a computer geek friend these days ? Ask a couple of em , Im sure they will be delighted to help you out .

Im also looking into hackintosh , actually Im using that right now , determining If it can meet my needs . If it does I prefer spending a modest amount of money on buying macosx , not win8 . And i did try out win8 , its horrible , slower than win7 , not really confusing , just slower . Will probably try it again after a year or so , wait till the kinks are worked out . All the technology under the hood means nothing if the user experience is worse . And the win8 experience is worse . At least for me .

Status
Not open for further replies.