Question Solo Transfer of Verizon Service

May 27, 2020
I'm techy but not a voracious cell phone user. I just don't live and die by it.
I have an iPhone 4S that's 6 years old to me, and wasn't the latest when I go it.
Verizon is rolling back 3G coverage in my area, so this old guy is becoming marginally useful, soon to be useless.
This phone is on a Verizon account that belongs to my employer. The individual who managed the account has long since departed the company, and nobody here knows the administrator credentials anymore!
Apparently, the bill just keeps coming in and they just keep paying it. Fine.
I have it in mind to buy a minimal refurbished later model iPhone (iPhone 8 256G Verizon, unlocked, $299 from BackMarket) and just shift the service to it. Shortest path between two points.
i understand that I can do that by putting the SIM card from the 4S into the 8, and my user-specific data will come along with minimal sturm und drang.
So, before I go shell out the three bils, my questions are threefold:
  • Can I do this without having to activate the 8 with Verizon?
  • If I can't do it online, I wonder if I can go to a Verizon store and make an appeal to them to activate it with the proper identification?
  • In the event that I have to scrap the whole idea and go get a plan on my own, can I keep the number that I have?
Thanks in advance for any guidance or suggestions.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R Cell Phone General Discussion 1
KingzlyS18 Cell Phone General Discussion 2
S Cell Phone General Discussion 2
S Cell Phone General Discussion 1
L Cell Phone General Discussion 3
K Cell Phone General Discussion 1
M Cell Phone General Discussion 1
S Cell Phone General Discussion 1
T Cell Phone General Discussion 1
F Cell Phone General Discussion 1
T Cell Phone General Discussion 1