{SOLVED}6 screens in one but ok on VGA with external monitor

jonboy79

Honorable
Mar 23, 2012
As above, i was on my linux system the other day when i noticed the battery level running really low. So bent down to pick up the charger and plugged it in then it went all funny. I can't remember what happened but i ended up rebooting.
On reboot i had 6 small screens in one, a bit like this http://

On all operating systems it's the same, linux or windows.

After some research i've came to find people saying its the gpu soldering and try to re-flow it, this is my last option. Which also got me thinking if the gpu is naff then why would it work with a external monitor using vga?

Any ideas before i switch on the oven?

Laptop compaq c300,

jonboy79

Honorable
Mar 23, 2012
Ok getting some where now. I plugged in my spare screen from a c700 pretty much the same laptop. It then only showed two screens in one screen. Then i rebooted it and it was then ok. I then tried my other screen just in case it was a loose port connector. It wasn't it is back to 6 screens in one.

I remember seeing something where some one said it could be the screen inverter or is it something else with the screen?

Regards jon

jonboy79

Honorable
Mar 23, 2012
Ok solved it. I tested the other inverter and the same still happened. Some where from the socket into the mobo to the back of the lcd there is a malfunction. I ended up swapping the whole screen over, which didn't take too long.

One thing i have to say is it's a good job i brought a old laptop like mine for parts when i needed a new keypad. I can strongly suggest to anyone with a laptop is keep a eye on fleabay for one like yours and if you can get one that doesn't start for £20 do so. So far from mine i've had a new keypad, lid hinges and a screen. I've still got loads i can salvage from it at another date.