(Solved) asus vivobook x540sa unexpectedly shuts down on battery power.

Status
Not open for further replies.

unlimitedchances85

Prominent
Feb 15, 2017
I bought an Asus vivobook x540sa 3 months ago and whenever I'm running on battery power, the laptop unexpectedly shuts down (like all power has been stopped.) This does not happen when it is plugged in. Would it possibly be something shorting out? It tends to happen whenever I move or tilt the screen. Temps look okay.

Solution
I have tried that prior to digging into my laptop. Thank you for your time but I have found my solution. I'm assuming there was a manufacturing problem since there were bits and pieces rattling around...
It sounds like your settings for power may be the issue.

Try going into "Control Panel" and then click on "Power Options".
On this next screen click the link that says "Change plan settings", next to which ever plan you are using.
Now you want to click "Change advanced power settings".
In this new window that loads, search through all the settings and make sure that none are set to turn it off. Especially the settings for when running on battery power. It may well be set to turn off when it reaches a certain level with the battery.

unlimitedchances85

Prominent
Feb 15, 2017
I have tried that prior to digging into my laptop. Thank you for your time but I have found my solution. I'm assuming there was a manufacturing problem since there were bits and pieces rattling around inside. I had to open it up and found out that the screen hinges would sometimes short out on the motherboard due to the low quality plastic which caused flexing. I have wrapped the hinges in some masking tape and it seems like that has fixed it.

Solution

smatt65

Prominent
Dec 26, 2017
We had the same exact problem with a brand new ASUS I got my son for Christmas. Good little laptop, but horrible design application.
I tried the settings, and that seemed to help a little, but it still did the same thing once he unplugged it and moved into the living room. Any movement would shut it down.
I opened it up to try the hinge trick mentioned above, but saw absolutely no part where this could be shorting out on.
It was the battery pack. ASUS took three 18650 batteries and taped them together for the power supply. Once I took it out, I noticed a slight "flex" movement in the taped together pack. Anyone who knows 18650 batteries, knows the positive side has very little of a positive "button" sticking up. I applied one wrap very tightly with electrical tape length wise, and made it more of a single solid piece. Now we can't make it shut off with any movement whatsoever.

Status
Not open for further replies.