Some People Are Protesting New Medal of Honor

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

""At the hands of the Taliban, children have lost fathers and wives have lost husbands," he said to the BBC. "It's hard to believe any citizen of our country would wish to buy such a thoroughly un-British game. I would urge retailers to show their support for our armed forces and ban this tasteless product.""

Of course that isn't true the other way around. There has never been collateral damage, civilian deaths or decidedly un-geneva like behavior on NATO's part... the hypocrisy is beyond words.

IB

G

Also, at the hand of the Nazis, wives lost husbands, children lost fathers and their children lost grandparents, yet nobody seemed to care when MoH was WWII. People need to shut up and let us enjoy the game.

mdillenbeck

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
...and yet no one complains about games where you get to play Nazis (points a finger at HOI) or fictitious groups of bad guys. Nor have I seen any complaints about playing the British in a revolutionary war game, or including the Mongolians or Huns, or any other hated group of enemies.

I can understand how this may upset some, but they do have a choice - don't buy or play the game. However, realize it is a game and not a Taliban training tool. I doubt a significant number of players would be tempted into becoming terrorists by playing a Taliban member and fragging their friend, just as we haven't seen waves of Nazis storm our streets from the WWII games (or Confederates from Civil War games).

scook9

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
I agree.....I am glad we treat the taliban that we can shoot like dogs that no one could possibly care about.....it is not like many of them have families as well

(obviously sarcasm)

Just another example of propaganda and censoring from our government.....

eyemaster

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
It's all fun and games until it's "OUR" side that gets killed? That's not a one way street. It's also not the first game to get "Our" side killed by other players. I guess it's just more upsetting to many because now the enemy in the game is not faceless, it's the "Taliban" and very recognized and recent. Making it the Nazzi is diffrent as it's over 60 years ago.

wotan31

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
I'm glad people are protesting this game. Releasing a video game about a current still-running conflict is in very very poor taste. This is no different than releasing a Haiti Earthquake game, a Hurricane Katrina game, or a game about raping women and children in Congo.

wotan31

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
[citation][nom]partytime[/nom]And playing as a Nazi killing us troops is different... How???[/citation]
Because there are ZERO eighty-five year olds who fought in WWII who are avid computer gamers. On the other hand, the age of many US troops fighting and dying in war today puts them squarely in the video game demographic. If someone had released a Kamikaze board game in 1944 I bet it would have been met with some serious disdain. This is no different. It has nothing to do with "our side" getting killed in a video game. It has everything to do with our side getting killed in a video game, while simultaneously our side is actually getting killed on a real battlefield. I will bet cash money that not one of you commenters making fun of this situation has ever served a day in the armed forces. Think about that.

Jerky_san

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
So going by this.. playing in COD where you can play as axis and kill US soldiers is wrong? Since you know we still have WW2 vets who are alive and I'm pretty sure they wouldn't be so happy either about murdering US soldier pixels.. So why all the sudden the complaining when no one complains about killing US soldiers in WW2 games?

Trashit

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2009
People will find any excuse to **** and moan these days. Its a game ffs! If you dont like it, dont buy it, its that simple really. And its not like its the first game that allows a player to play as a terrorist, i mean how long has Counter Strike been around for now? If you find yourself with nothing better to do than whinge about a game you clearly have no intend on playing do everyone a favour and shut the up!

Cyex

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2002
"A game where players can assume the role of the Taliban would definitely upset some people."

Additionally, a game where players can't assume the role of the Taliban would definitely upset some people.

tommysch

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
It isnt even in the campaign... What do they want, NATO vs NATO mp? Seriously we all played on the, nazi, jap, vietcong, and soviet side. Just think about CS/CSS CT vs T, yeah T like in Terrorist.

Dkz

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2009
No game should be ever banned from existence, as programmers, designers, the whole team, are in fact artist. Who do their best in ways that may be are not the best to everyone, and may be we don't get at first.
They have their right to do their job and create those games, which may or may not disturb some people.

tommysch

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
[citation][nom]wotan31[/nom]I'm glad people are protesting this game. Releasing a video game about a current still-running conflict is in very very poor taste. This is no different than releasing a Haiti Earthquake game, a Hurricane Katrina game, or a game about raping women and children in Congo.[/citation]

Good ideas. Especialy the Katrina big game hunting game.

Status
Not open for further replies.