askingstuff712

Estimable
Feb 7, 2016
how does a hacker (or whoever) find me all the time? my isp cridentials are simple stuff for me to remember. but some how the hacker or whoever finds out my cridentials. i went into my "remote assistamce" window and unticked the box for "allow remote assistance". i thought it would be the end of having to change my cridentials. but it isnt.

i know i should buy a firewall for my computer. but in this family we dont buy any computer stuff such as that. i use avg free 2016 for its a/v.

what else is there? is there a piece of hardware thats a locking device that i can attach to my router or modem (or both) on the cord end that goes i guess in both directions so i cover everything

Solution
G
sry than. can't help much more than....
I don't know a single router that has no port filtering. maybe if you contact your router provider or search the manual of it online you will be able to do something. yeah, try the ISP forum, usually there are always moderators that will try to solve your problems, giving you step by step procedures and tips that I don't know of.
G

I think you may be infested with some keylogger. a keylogger is a program (or virus, depends on how you use it) that records EVERY key you click. basically, if you have a keylogger on your computer, and you write qwerty123456 on notepad, qwerty123456 is saved on the keylogger. that is the easiest way to find out passwords xd. try to install a anti-keylogger, try out process explorer also, to check the running process's for something that should not be running. and I dont know where you live or what is your ISP, but here in my country, if you make a phone call to the ISP and you say: hey, I lost my password. my SSID is qwerty. can you give me my password?
and the company will say: yes, ofc. your password is: banana12.
well, for security online, at least here where I live, changing the SSID is always a good option. also, you can make a secure password for it. mix letters and numbers, special characters, etc. I use keepass to do that. it's a password manager, it also protect's me from keyloggers, because I only type the password for keepass and all my real passwords from facebook, email account... are safe because I only ctrl + V and the program auto-logs me into the webpage, so I dont need to type neither usernames or passwords. it's a very recommended program for me.

askingstuff712

Estimable
Feb 7, 2016

great!!!

well i now have these installed:

1. KeeePass
2. SpyShelter
3. Process Explorer

.... is this all i need?

:::cheers:::

G

can't really help you with that since I dont use anti keyllogers... I installed it my self just to test your issue and the same happened to me. maybe it's a way for the company to force you to buy the program. since I hate companies like that, I uninstalled it barely I saw it xd.
well, I dont think you really need a anti keylogger, if process explorer didint showed any virus on the running process's you are most likely safe.
what can be happening is that there are software specialized on wifi decryption. do you use WPA2 security? WPA2 is the most secure, while WEP is easialy decrypted by those kind of programs. also, if you followed the steps I mentioned about making secure passwords, it is a really good help against those kind of programs. it is still possible to hack the connections, just makes it harder.

G

well, it depends. I told about those programs (except spyshelter, never heard of it) because they are programs that I trust and use/used daily. for me, keepass, 360 total security and glasswire work just fine. for you it can be different, it depends on the mindset you have. also, I didint thought about it, but do you understand what process explorer does? it's a tool more focused on experienced people, like IT technicians.
what works for me maybe can't work for you, you know? :p

anyway, I am affraid I can't help you more with this, because well, I never suffered with having my connection hacked.

UPDATE: I missed a huge thing: have you checked your router control panel? there should be like a tab or something where are listed ALL the devices connected to the internet. if you are sure that your little "friend" is using your internet, go there, it should be something like a list there, showing the name of the computer connected and it's MAC address. for example, if MAC address 11:e3:55:89:44:74 has a name you dont recognize, let's say your computer name is Paul-PC and there is a Fiona-PC connected, you can note fiona-PC's MAC address and try to find a feature called port filtering. there you can paste the MAC address and choose if you allow it or not to connect to your internet. it's like a firewall. I can't really give a step by step procedure since I never had the need on using that feature and it can be different, depending on your router, guess you will have to do some research online if you decide to try this.

askingstuff712

Estimable
Feb 7, 2016

yeah i worked on the keepass program some off and on so far. is this right so far? : in the keepas i made my 2 isp network usernames and passwords accounts that i have in my router that i legally paid for. and be4 that when i set up keypass itself i made a HARDDDDDD key for that. now what do i do for my internet to be too hard to get into? nothing? sit back and relax now?

G

basically xd. try to search for the port filtering option on your connection control panel. there you can just block the attacker, maybe block him forever.
but yeah, sit and relax. use your router control panel to verify if the attacker is connected to the internet in the upcoming days.
in the case of 360 and glasswire:
- 360 total security: uses it's own engines and it has avira and bit defender's engines. this means that 360 is like a 3 AV in 1. also has a cleaning tool built in. it's free forever, it's lightweight (uses around 70MB of ram when idle) and does not show pop ups or advertising. you can download it here: https://www.360totalsecurity.com
- glasswire: NOT recommended. it's a beta program and despite what the company says, it is not a firewall. glasswire is NO replacement for windows firewall. what GW does is making managing windows firewall easier. GW is more for a network monitoring tool than a firewall. again: it's a beta program: a lot of features are missing. GW is a freemium program: has a paid version and a free version. has no pop ups or advertising. despite GW does not has that much bugs, I only use it to block traffic. I dont recommend it because there are a lot of programs out there with better features and more useful. GW is only good because of 1 thing: it's lightwheight. when idle, GW only uses 30MB or ram and that is why I use it.

what I recommend you to do also is to check what people say about 360 and GW on the internet. as I already said: what works for me, does not necessarily works for others.

askingstuff712

Estimable
Feb 7, 2016

my connection settings say these few things:

Operating system: Windows 7 SP 1

Connection type (WAN): DHCP
IP address (LAN): (taken out by me!!)
IP address (WAN): (taken out by me!!!)
Computer IP address: (taken out by me!! NO YOU CANT HAVE IT!!!)

and i seen the advanced options. its for the administrators. yes i know what that is. but not any further than having / creating accounts for the computer. or also editing and changeing the isp details for the ssid and passwords. in fact i sayd to myself "im gonna pay the extra 50 bucks for the router that allows me to always change the cridentials if i have to. and to also have a reset button on it if i ever need it to pick my details for me". so thats what i have now.

and i dont like avira. the avira a/v program used to ask me to decide what to do for each and every move the pc itself made for procesing the junk in there. plus it never quit. and then it didnt show what file it talked about in the dialog and the process either.

and just incase you thought of it : me and mcaffee never got along either.

G

yeah well, using WPA2 and having access to port filtering is what you need to be protected against that invasor. and no, at least I dont know any hardware that can block attackers, because what you have is not a issue, it's just some geek guy hacking your connection and that is not a issue with your router and you cannot solve it by using a "piece of hardware". what you can actually do, is, as I said, use port filtering to block the attacker or use the cable. using the cable your router should automatically block WIFI, meaning no wireless internet. at least mine does that. but yeah, no such hardware or program to help you out against AFAIK.

askingstuff712

Estimable
Feb 7, 2016

"computers and devices" is where i connect my stuff to the router.

and then the "router details" is what i sent you half of. and the "advanced settings" is the link from the program that opens up my "192.xxx.xx.xx/" page and do the stuff in THAT. but if i mess with that stuff i might break something. so i need to skip that.

also - on the program's main program screen of my controls it had a green circle like a light. and by it are words "online" and "secure". but this doesnt do anything when i look. (why do you think that is there?).

so, about the filtering -- i have 2 game consoles. and for those i used wifi (not anymore tho). but when id search for my wifi for the consoles to let me play games online id be able to see all the connected device of mine AND OTHER PEOPLES ssid. but couldnt do anything about theirs being displayed in my wifi's way there.

so, what can i do? i cant use my 192 ...whatever website for the router. and the filtering feature is inaccessable to me.

G

sry than. can't help much more than....
I don't know a single router that has no port filtering. maybe if you contact your router provider or search the manual of it online you will be able to do something. yeah, try the ISP forum, usually there are always moderators that will try to solve your problems, giving you step by step procedures and tips that I don't know of.

Solution