Sonos Introduces New iPhone Controller

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Sonos is a rip off. You can do the same thing with an iPod Touch or iPhone and an Airport Express for much cheaper. A refurb 8gb iPod is $179 and a refurb Airport Express is $79. Total, that's $258 vs. $949 for a basic Sonos system. wake up sonos!

Tomsguiderachel

Distinguished
May 16, 2008
[citation][nom]ripoff[/nom]Sonos is a rip off. You can do the same thing with an iPod Touch or iPhone and an Airport Express for much cheaper. A refurb 8gb iPod is $179 and a refurb Airport Express is $79. Total, that's $258 vs. $949 for a basic Sonos system. wake up sonos![/citation]
Hi Ripoff,

An iPhone plus Airport Express is hardly the same thing as a Sonos. It is a great cheap alternative, however, though you will be lacking the ability to play high-quality audio files and you'll be forced to use iTunes as your music sorting system (which many people despise). Multi-room synching also isn't supported.

Rachel Rosmarin, Editor of Tom's Guide

G

Rachel,
It sounds like you're not quite up to speed on the latest iTunes. Actually, the airport express does play high quality audio files and connects to your stereo through an optical input. Also, you can send the itunes music to as many rooms as you like. each Air port express is the equivalent of an unamplified zoneplayer. Then, through the "Remote" program for the iPod touch, you select which airports you want it to play though. Also, any PC or mac on the network is effectively a separate controller (each sonos controller is $400) on which you can access other's shared libraries and also tell it where you want your music played. Further, if you need an amplified "zone Player", audioengine specifically makes a set of studio quality speakers with a built in amplifier to go along with your Airport express. it even has an AC plug in the back. Granted, I'm am sure there may be a few pluses for the Sonos, but not enough to pay 3 to 4 times more.

nekatreven

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007
Oh wow I didn't know all of that! I should really...oh, no, no wait. I almost forgot...apple makes it; nevermind.

Dude I don't care if it does my laundry and cleans dog crap off the floor, and I don't care if its cheaper refurbished. I will not corner myself into Apple's locked down platforms and ideaologies.

Status
Not open for further replies.