Sony, Amazon Said to Be Prepping Media Services

Status
Not open for further replies.

thillntn

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2010
Wonder how $ony will get people to pay for things that they will just want to take away in the future...I will keep putting MY content on the hardware I bought and stay DRM free.

Travis Beane

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
$80 a year for unlimited 1080p/720p content, which only compresses as much as it needs to, because on a 16mbit line, you can stream 7GB/hour.
I'd be in. :D

While I do like the Sony Playstation 3 console, I find the games I have (got it for Sony exclusives only) aren't played. I've just used it to stream movies from my network.

Can we finally have a decent, affordable streaming service in Canada though? Or must I use a VPN?

gregor

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2004
16mbit/s / 8 = 2Mb/s
2 x 60 x 60 = 7200Mb per hr
Times that by about 0.7 for the actual data = ~5Gb per hour???

shanky887614

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010
i see i must still be tired i only worked it out in mins

but you forget becasue of throtling internet conection you will be lucky to get that

for example im with bt and have got 20GB in quiew

it is going to take 15 hours or 1.3GB/hour that is on 8mb connection

i feel you are hopelessly optomistic and everyone near me is at work so its about as fast as it is going to get

so your real world speeds are more like 1-8MB/sec at average

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
Subscription service, much better. Lines it up against the established models set by big TV companies like HBO and such.
I like the idea of this, now if we can only find a way to make this international.
By the way, if I watch a streaming movie and at the end there is a link that says "Like this film? Buy it now!" followed by a couple of clicks then the BluRay disk comes through my door in 2 days this will be perfect.

shanky887614

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010
back_by_demand

so bassically you want an internet service to replace over the air/satalight tv like sky and cable

i think this is a good idea but will make some poeples internete bills go through the roof becasue they won't realise how much they use and people like bt charge you if you go over your allowance if you are not on option 3

elbert

Distinguished
I wonder if Sony is going to force out Netflix or allow a competing service? Sony needs to take note this could end in a lawsuit they cant win. Those using Netflix being Sony's own customers could bring suit. Even a win for Sony by law can be a lose in this case.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]shanky887614[/nom]back_by_demand so bassically you want an internet service to replace over the air/satalight tv like sky and cablei think this is a good idea but will make some poeples internete bills go through the roof becasue they won't realise how much they use and people like bt charge you if you go over your allowance if you are not on option 3[/citation]
Maybe, if you look at how internet speeds vs file sizes have rocketed over the last few years it seems like a natural progression. Also, its not like the TV companies aren't already doing it in a similar fashion like the BBC iPlayer or the Sky Player, both allow you to stream the respective TV companies content. Networks are constantly being bolstered to support the inevitable rise in traffic both mobile and ADSL/Cable. BT are spending billions getting fibre optics down around the country and there are plenty of ISPs that have unlimited and dont even hint at a fair usage policy. I currently use O2 on a 20mb service, the exchange is all of 200m from the house so I pretty much get the full whack and regularly get torrent speeds around 2000kbps.
They haven't bothered me once regarding my downloading, despite regularly hitting big DLs like Stargate SG1 at over 70 gig.

It wont happen over night but it will happen and convergence is already underway, Sky offers ADSL and BT offers TV, there are never huge leaps only excruciating increments but in 5 years you will see some people as Sky TV subscribers who dont have a STB anymore and have all their 3D-HD content piped down Sky Broadband.

Bearing in mind that in the UK today there are already some cable suscribers who are using 100 meg braodband, we are not far away. If someone could work it out, just exactly how fast would your home broadband have to be to fluidly stream a full 3D-HD movie, TV show or football match?

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009

shanky887614

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010
yes but bt's limit for option 3 is 100GB a month and they throttle you tremendously the only one i can find with no fair use policy (they should be illegal) is suprisingly sky

which is trully unlimited

Status
Not open for further replies.