Sony and Regal Theaters to Bring Closed Captions Glasses

Status
Not open for further replies.

Integr8d

Distinguished
May 28, 2011
Played with them at a screening yesterday. Cool concept. Will probably be good for the intended audience. Any head shaking or chomping on popcorn will vibrate the image like crazy. Would be a lot better experience, if they added gyro stabilization or simple motion tracking to watch the corners of the screen.

punahou1

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2010
Lame - I don't like wearing glasses at the theater. So how does this work for someone who already has to wear glasses??

olaf

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2011
good thing all the movies are subtitled here, unfortunatly they are starting to voice over them the wankers....

XmortisX

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011
This is one great idea and I'm sure for the disabled this will help out alot! I have relatives who don't got to movies due to hearing problems and this will definitely get them back in theaters. Nice article!

qin106

Honorable
Apr 21, 2012
cool!!!!!!!!!!!
Hardware.gif

derekbrandon

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
These glasses would be very useful for people with hearing loss in the UK. Although most cinemas now have facilities to screen the latest films with English-language subtitles & audio description for people with hearing or sight loss, there are only around 1,000 subtitled shows every week around the UK. That may sound a lot but it’s only around 1% of cinema shows. In the UK, subtitles are on the cinema screen, for all to see, so require separate screenings.

Subtitle glasses would increase the choice of subtitled films and shows tenfold. People would very much appreciate such a service from cinemas. Take a look at this page of feedback from the cinema-going public: http://www.yourlocalcinema.com/quote.html

Derek, http://www.yourlocalcinema.com/now.showing.html

nekromobo

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2008
I was preferring to "Sony still hasn’t revealed whether or not it will bring such technology to the consumer level for television use."

[citation][nom]punahou1[/nom]Lame - I don't like wearing glasses at the theater. So how does this work for someone who already has to wear glasses??[/citation]
Magnificently, if that person happens to be deaf. Of course, I'm prejudiced. My daughter is deaf and, even with the cochlear implant, has a very hard time following move dialogue. We go to the one local theater that has open-caption films, if we are lucky enough for an open-caption version of the film of interest to be distributed. Just wear 'em over your glasses, as with the 3-d glasses in theaters.

G

This is a STUPID concept. Why don't they make the theaters 100% open captioned and let the hearing people wear their glasses that block out the captioning themselves and let us deaf people enjoy without the stupid glasses. All hearing inventors are doing is still treating us like we are stupid inferior second class citizens. They probably did not even ask the Deaf population what we think of this stupid glasses idea. They are trying to shove it down our throat and force us to use their stupid invention. REALLY? You REALLY want to wear this stupid invention? Come on people. That's like segregating the Blacks from the Whites at restaurants, bathrooms, water fountains, schools. This is plain outright discrimination by treating us differently. Seriously, the deaf people are the new Black people in 21st century and we need to BREAK DOWN the barrier by demanding OPEN CAPTION! No one complained about OC on TVs in bars and restaurants so why would they be complaining in theater! HELL with high priced theater. I'd rather rent and watch DVDs at home. Cheaper!! Make my own popcorns!!!

G

To Anonymous on 6/18/2012 comment: First, I am hearing impaired (cochlear implant one side for 5 years, hearing aid other side for 48 years), congenital mild-moderate hearing loss that was progressive. I was mainstreamed and I do not consider myself part of the Deaf culture (with a capital "D"). Have you tried the glasses? I did and I loved them for seeing the Hobbit. I could position the text so that it appeared to be projected in the dark area below the screen. I didn't need to read text that superimposed over the picture on the screen. Nobody is forcing these down your throat; you can choose NOT to wear the glasses. And really, how is this like segregation? You want Open Caption on all screens everywhere? Isn't that forcing something down everyone else's throat? And what about the Hispanic population or other cultures in the USA who want the OC in their language? Do you want half of the picture to be covered with text? It appears that you are the one with the discrimination bug up your butt. No, I haven't been to a movie theater in the last 12 years, because even with assistive listening devices, I was not able to hear enough to follow the plot. But now I reason to go see the big screen! And I can also choose to wait until it is released on DVD and watch it at home along with my cheap popcorn. And, of course, that is where you should stay, instead of ranting and raving against technology that is beneficial to others.

Status
Not open for further replies.