Sony Announces Price Drop for the PlayStation 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

mman74

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
I still have my original fat PS3 from when I bought in 2006! Fanboyism aside you have got to say that this is excellent value for money. You get a 3D capable PS3 player and very versatile machine. Some great PS3 exclusive franchises, Infamous, Unchartered, Resistance, Killzone, Heavy Rain, Little Big Adeventure, SOCOM, Ratchet & Clank that will never appear on another platform (too many times Xbox say exclusive but they end up on the PC or lose them like Mass Effect).
Even if you have an Xbox and you are very happy, surely now is a great time to take a look at a PS3.

willonidas

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2009
Awesome, was looking into buying a PS3.

This plus the newly announced MGS HD Collection is going to make me one happy guy.

pinkeyes

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2009
Thunderfox gets a +1

And the quote from Jack Trenton above should read:

"While others in the space are losing steam, PlayStation 3 is gaining momentum and giving hackers everywhere more of what they want: Your personal information, on a silver platter"

f-gomes

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2008
I'm a bit tired of this 249$ = 249€ bull. In my book, 249€ is 350$. 249$ in the US should mean we could buy it in Europe for less than 180€.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
So Sony have a hard time selling them after the psn hack, wonder why! Buy a cheap console, get your credit card stolen and its all of a sudden not that cheap anymore!

[citation][nom]f-gomes[/nom]I'm a bit tired of this 249$ = 249€ bull. In my book, 249€ is 350$. 249$ in the US should mean we could buy it in Europe for less than 180€.[/citation]

To few who votes with the money and ignore overpriced items signaling the companies its ok. Sad but true!

Markor

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2008
Sony KILLED support for running LINUX on PS3 on newer models.

They can lower prices to 0(ZERO) if they like, I absolutely have no reason to consider PS3 as game console or as anything else with this kind of SONY destroying faith in company.

Consoles are non standard, proprietary, remotely controlled and unusable for most of the things.
They should just DIE.
Also that Euro to USD thing.. I think I will pass on that US produced overpriced Shit.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
The reason I have completely skipped this console generation is because to this day there are simply no titles that don't make it to PC that I really desire. Don't get me wrong I know there are decent games but none of them really stand out nor do they seem to deserve the high amount of praise they are given. The only console game I can think of that I would like to sit down and play through completely is Metal Gear Solid 4, but I sure the heck am not going to buy a PS3 just to play that single game.

Perhaps my many years as a PC gamer simply has made me acquire a different taste than console gamers. Whenever I play a game ported to PC I almost always find myself wondering
how someone could think this was a good game to begin with, the most recent example being Fable 3.

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
"The new price will make the PS3 more accessible than ever before, so there’s never been a better time to join PlayStation Nation."

I love my 60GB PS3 that I have for 5 years now but I don't remember EVER singing up to that "PlayStation Nation".

USA! USA! USA!

soo-nah-mee

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
[citation][nom]cognoscentiable[/nom]They're having a laugh with the exchange rate... as in, ignoring that it exists.[/citation]As an American I guiltily appreciate that we get a lower price on games and electronics than Europeans, but I have to admit it is rediculously unfair that $1 = 1€ in the gaming world. Don't you guys have to pay VAT on top of that too? My condolences.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
they shouldve just kept it at $300 and brought back ps2 compatibility. I already have a ps3 but Id be more than happy to sell it and buy another with ps2 in it.

wild9

Distinguished
May 20, 2007
[citation][nom]NuclearShadow[/nom]The reason I have completely skipped this console generation is because to this day there are simply no titles that don't make it to PC that I really desire. Don't get me wrong I know there are decent games but none of them really stand out nor do they seem to deserve the high amount of praise they are given. The only console game I can think of that I would like to sit down and play through completely is Metal Gear Solid 4, but I sure the heck am not going to buy a PS3 just to play that single game.Perhaps my many years as a PC gamer simply has made me acquire a different taste than console gamers. Whenever I play a game ported to PC I almost always find myself wonderinghow someone could think this was a good game to begin with, the most recent example being Fable 3.[/citation]

What about the Call of Duty games? I prefer to play those with a keyboard and mouse, rather than a console controller. Mind you I did originally start playing these types of games on PC so maybe I am a little biased, but I just can't get to grips with playing FPS on a console. Plus, there's all the add-ons you can get for the PC, like Call of Duty: United Offensive.. an multi-player mod that I picked up for £1! I know it's old but it's still cool to blast around the snow in a tank.

Other games that started on consoles and made it to PC, have benefited. I mean, despite Rockstar's restrictions, the GTA: San Andreas online mods (namely Multi-Theft-Auto and San Andreas Multi-player), get phenominal support. Every day there's 100's of servers with 1000's of players. Unlike the console version you can race online, fight zombies and role-play although because the mod is effectively based around a game that wasn't MP to begin with, things are still evolving. Even Vice City and GTA IV are being developed, and there's now a version of GTA IV that uses the San Andreas map, the benefit being improved Rage Engine graphics. Hmm, I wonder if Rockstar would actually consider doing it for the PS3..

I think there are some games that translate well to PC, but unfortunately I have not always had decent PC hardware to run them. At least with the PS3 you know what to expect and don't have to worry too much about lag. The graphics don't bother me that much..coming from the ZX Spectum era, I am more interested in the game-play. I'm just not too keen on console controllers for first-person stuff unless it's driving sims.

wild9

Distinguished
May 20, 2007
[citation][nom]bustapr[/nom]they shouldve just kept it at $300 and brought back ps2 compatibility. I already have a ps3 but Id be more than happy to sell it and buy another with ps2 in it.[/citation]

Does the Japanese version still have PS2 hardware support? I agree about keeping it in all models.. after all it's keeping the support base alive as well as keeping people in jobs. But for some reason it's a huge deal for Sony to stick some old Silicone inside a modern games machine. What's the betting that if Sony did bring back PS2 support, they'd make you pay through the nose for it..

wild9

Distinguished
May 20, 2007
[citation][nom]f-gomes[/nom]I'm a bit tired of this 249$ = 249€ bull. In my book, 249€ is 350$. 249$ in the US should mean we could buy it in Europe for less than 180€.[/citation]

Well f-gomes, I should imagine lots of people thinking the same this Christmas, including myself. Isn't globalisation wonderful, eh.. reduced wages, longer hours and higher taxes (especially with bankers to bail out!). But when it comes to lowering retail prices...erm..erm..nah, we better not go there; let's pretend we're giving the European including British customers, an awesome deal. Same old same old..

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
Yeah there are games better suited for consoles and there are games better suited for PC. Assassins cred for example had horrendous mouse and keyboard controls, and just about any game in that style . Swinging swords and making combos with a mouse click feels a bit strange. And the precision of FPS aiming with a mouse kills a few times over the controller. They make games that will run at 30+ fps for consoles without worries, and on pc you have to worry about your equipment, but if you have the more expensive equipment the pc game will look better. and exclusives are also a factor, Id very much like to play heavy rain metal gear on pc, but w cant. Both the pc and consoles have their ups and downs against eachother, its good to have both.

Status
Not open for further replies.