Sony AX33 - Photo Capture from Video

austincw

Estimable
Dec 3, 2015
Anybody know why the U.K. models of the Sony AX33 do not allow a still shot to be obtained from a previously captured video. I assume it is available in certain regions as the Sony video from the CES show 2015 showing the camera did show this function in operation.

1) You CANNOT "capture" photos from video. No camera without RAW video recording can.
2) If you want to take an image of a single video frame, just use any video player that supports image export. MPC-HC has built in export to jpg and png, and most players allow screenshots (Windows+PrtScn)

austincw

Estimable
Dec 3, 2015

In this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRVdy1b0qwE at around 2:44 you can see the Photo Capture function being demonstrated on the U.S model of the AX33. The icon to get a photo does not appear on my U.K. model. My two Panasonic camcorders, the SD700 and X920 both have a Photo Capture from video option. As I said in the original post it seems odd that the function is no available in all regions

Again, the point is that it doesn't matter, because the image will be identical whether the camera does it or you do it afterwards using the video data. If you want to "capture" a still from the video, simply open it in any video editor that supports export (Blender is free and supports it) or a video player that does (MPC-HC). No use crying over functionality that isn't available for (usually legal) reasons not explained by the manufacturer. If you only care about hte answer to that question though, ask Sony directly, their contact information is on their website.