Sony Bravia SXRD out to pasture

rartist

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2007
I have a 60" Sony Bravia SXRD with a slowly dying optical block. I've seen what fixing it myself involves,. It pretty much involves taking most of the TV apart, installing the new part, recalibrating it, and putting the whole thing back together properly. A TV repair shop I asked for a quote turned down the job. The cost to repair seems to be not too far away from replacing it with a new one. Even with the possibility of repair this TV has a zillion hours on it thanks to my kids and is waaaay off warranty. What will break next? I've already paid for a failed fan out of pocket.

I have the shortcut on my desktop for a replacement LCD 3D of the same size. What I am trying to do is to figure out what to do with the old TV. I don't know what it would be worth (it still runs, tho getting progressively more green), if a TV shop would buy it, fix it, and sell it.

robo7425

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2010
I have the same TV. I've had the optical block replaced twice under warranty (thank god for the extended warranty). Both times the repairman took over two hours for the repair and the price on the repair receipt showed over $2000 in parts and labor. Even if the true cost were half of that, I don't think anyone would spend that much to fix an older TV. So far the last one has lasted 3 years, I'm hoping I got a good one this time as the Tv has a good picture.

neffsrus

Honorable
Jan 10, 2014
I replaced mine (optical block issue / green tint to screen) but still have it in the basement. What do you do with it?