Sony Bravia XBR and Samsung soudbar

May 30, 2018
I just got a Samsung HW-M550 soundbar. I'm trying to connect it to an older Sony Bravia KDL-40XBR2. I also have a FIOS cable box. I've tried using an optical cable - doesn't work. Any recommendations?

Solution
I feel there should be a setting in the FIOS box to select the sound output to the optical port for the soundbar. Since it is a digital soundbar, optical is the only way to connect it. There are active converters to convert an analogue output to the digital signal, but most need to be connected to a pc while being used, making them impractical. Stand-alone ones might exist, but would probably we worth more than its worth to get them for your setup.

bmw-vision

Estimable
Sep 8, 2015
I feel there should be a setting in the FIOS box to select the sound output to the optical port for the soundbar. Since it is a digital soundbar, optical is the only way to connect it. There are active converters to convert an analogue output to the digital signal, but most need to be connected to a pc while being used, making them impractical. Stand-alone ones might exist, but would probably we worth more than its worth to get them for your setup.

Solution