Sony Could Start Banning Hacked, Jailbroken PS3s

Status
Not open for further replies.

miicah

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2010
Would it be possible to play your "backed-up" games offline and then put legit ones in to play online?

G

Just buy 2 PS3´s then tape them together that way you will have the best of both worlds. Then change the name to PSalmost4

geckoar

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2008
if it is just like the xbox 360 than nope, as soon as its hacked you sign in and the ip is logged so you get a ban sooner or later.

Travis Beane

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
Would they ban a hacked PS3 from all net access? If I remember correctly, you still need your PSN account to run F@H.

Would love to see 100,000 people banned, and then everyone just set their PS3 to 24/7 folding. ^_^

mkrijt

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
[citation][nom]Shine Dk[/nom]Just buy 2 PS3´s then tape them together that way you will have the best of both worlds. Then change the name to PSalmost4[/citation]

you're wrong, that would make the PS6...

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
[citation][nom]Blessedman[/nom]Why they would try to ban by IP and not MAC?[/citation]
MAC is only visible on Ethernet level, i.e. in local network.
Not to mention, you could change it.

fyasko

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2010
[citation][nom]kartu[/nom]MAC is only visible on Ethernet level, i.e. in local network.Not to mention, you could change it.[/citation]

one can change an IP but not a hexi-decimal MAC address. the MAC address is embedded in the hardware. though it is possible to flash the chip with a new MAC address it is far more difficult than changing a software based IP address. pwned!

frogman7

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
If they start banning PS3's I'm sure it'll be through some built individual identifier that every PS3 has. The same thing existed in the original Xbox (EEPROM) and it exists in the Xbox360 (Keyvault). I believe even the PS2 had it but I'm not 100%. Anyways even a MAC address would be fake able if you routed it through your pc and had software to inject the outgoing packets with a new MAC.

G

I dont use PSN, i dont care about bans. AND even if users are adicted on PSN, they can uninstall games and manager, then log on PSN. Cannot have them all !!! Grow up !

G

Worth pointing out that your PS3 records a history of what games you have played (take a look at the startup spinner thingy). If you have EVER used the backup manager, and your console is not an official registered dev unit, and you ever go online with it, Sony will know...

You would have to be an idiot to use this dongle.

g00ey

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
[citation][nom]fyasko[/nom]one can change an IP but not a hexi-decimal MAC address. the MAC address is embedded in the hardware. though it is possible to flash the chip with a new MAC address it is far more difficult than changing a software based IP address. pwned![/citation]
Not true, it is possible with some (if not most) ethernet cards to change the MAC address on the software level. I even have a custom MAC address set up on my router. You can change it under the "Advanced" tab when configuring the NIC in Windows. The property to look for usually is "MAC Address" or "Network Address".

Darkk

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2003
It's a good chance that Sony keeps a record of the PS3 serial ID and MAC address so if either gets changed the unit gets flagged.

Either way you still get screwed if you forget to turn off the jailbroken app before going online. Easiest is to block PS3's internet access on the router.

Status
Not open for further replies.