Sony Could Sue Nintendo Over Wii U

Status
Not open for further replies.

Katzie

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2011
Thing is, Sony will never make a console like the Wii U unless the Wii U does so well. So why sue over something you'll never make? I say, you can''t file a patent claim unless you have a timeline (or an average ETA, give or take a few release dates) of your product. Otherwise, you can't claim a patent on something that you'll never create.

growup

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2011
Too many patents make this world develop much slower than it should. Imagine if suing was available in the stone age.

Tim - James, dont call your table a wheel or you'll get sued.

James - But Tim, it might revolutionize the way we travel, I call it... a car.

Tim - You're going to get sued and they'll take your idea.

James - You're right, lets jog to work, we're 5 hours late.

I lost faith in mankind as it is already.

G

So does that mean Nintendo can sue Sony for using a wand controller for Move? Clearly that copies the Wii mote.

G

@Katzie

Patenets were not designed as offensive measures to deny another company access to technology that you yourself never intend to use, in short, you can not sue someone over a patent that you had no intent of developing further, the intent of a patent is to further develop a concept for commercial applications (whether you intend to use it yourself or license it out), you can not just sit on a patent waiting to catch someone off guard who might use a similar idea

someone needs to teach the patent office what it was originally setup for

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
A portable electronic device comprises a display facing in a first direction, a video camera facing in a second direction substantially opposite to the first direction
So basically every smartphone ever made?
Good luck with that one.

G

Well 2011 it's the year for hacker and for lawsuit I Presume!! Everybody try to get paid with some little effort!

Miharu

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2007
Nintendo always have GameCube+Gameboy Advance or Wii+Nintendo DS combo.
So the combo "portable electronic device" is discutable.

I just remember Zelda 4 swords where Gameboy Advance had a different display than the TV.
Did Sony "invent" something there? no.

The Wii U controler is also discutable... it's not a "portable electronic device" as a portable console, it's the controller in this case.
I just hope not see a lawsuit there.
I'm tired to hear Apple arrogant lawsuit with the headline "we invent everything"...

ikyung

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
[citation][nom]Katzie[/nom]Thing is, Sony will never make a console like the Wii U unless the Wii U does so well. So why sue over something you'll never make? I say, you can''t file a patent claim unless you have a timeline (or an average ETA, give or take a few release dates) of your product. Otherwise, you can't claim a patent on something that you'll never create.[/citation]
Corporations as big as Sony wouldn't sue Nintendo's patent infringement to make money. They will sue Nintendo to delay Wii U sales, thus promoting the PS3. Look at Apple vs Samsung. Do you think Apple is sueing Samsung to make money off the lawsuit? Hell no. They are just trying their hardest to delay Samsung's smartphone and tablet line from hitting retail. Look at the delay the Galaxy line got. There goes potential couple million unit sales just because it got delayed a couple months for some stupid patent infringement. Thus resulting in more iphone and ipad sales because right now there isn't any tablet/smartphone provider that can compete with Apple except Samsung.

TheViper

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2006
The concept that the patent is describing is called "Augmented Reality" and it's not something Sony could sue for as there are many patents for augmented reality including those already owned by Nintendo. One of the coolest features of the 3DS is the 3D augmented reality.

G

uhm just to add, there is a law regarding patents, and delivery. if you patent something and you dont act on it, the other party can go to court and get your patent dissolved if they can make it seem like something common, or in some cases people just wait till companies make the product and then once a million is sold they sue. if you go look at usual rulings you will notice that these people that try to make money this way end up geting paid nothing... yes there are many laws and loopholes regarding patents. but patents with computers gets ridiculous at times, and im scared for my future as a programmer regarding all the patents

Darkerson

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
There will always be bad blood between Sony and Nintendo. Ever since the failed partnership that would have produced the PlayStation CD add-on for the Super Famicom/SNES fell apart, the two cant help but take jabs at each other any way possible.

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
[citation][nom]Katzie[/nom]Thing is, Sony will never make a console like the Wii U unless the Wii U does so well. So why sue over something you'll never make? I say, you can''t file a patent claim unless you have a timeline (or an average ETA, give or take a few release dates) of your product. Otherwise, you can't claim a patent on something that you'll never create.[/citation]

Because if one company can get away with it then more and more comapnies will use the same technology and make that same argument. So instead of one company ripping off your technology you will end up have many companies ripping your technology off and in their defense they would say well if they did it why can't we...

G

If Sony does sue the big N, I picture that hack group going after Sony once more.

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
Patents like this one only serve to completely undermine product development.

The patent description itself is a HUGE, vague, run-on sentence that doesn't point to any specific technology, or even any use of their own patented technology or intellectual property within it at all. It essentially says PartA does this and faces away from PartB, which interacts with PartC, taking information from PartA, sending it to PartC, transfers it to PartD... Are you kidding me?

Status
Not open for further replies.