Sony Develops Ultra-Thin Rollable OLED Display

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pyroflea

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2007
The whole rolling thing doesn't seem overly practical, but the fact that it's that thin is nice. Laptops/Monitors/Tablets will all be able to get thinner and lighter now. That's pretty cool :)

ElCdt

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2009
Newspapers should really jump early on this boat, because pretty soon this technology will make paper obsolete. If they don´t invest early, they might be left behind.
I see 2 ways they can go with this:
A disposable cheap version that people discard every day just like ordinary newspapers, with the waste in resources that it entails. Or, a wi-fi daily updated version, that you purchase only once, and displays the news daily, at a cost of a subscription.
This technology could also help set up tv screens in places you don´t expect, like a bus, the subway, bathrooms, elevators, etc.
I think we might be heading into a Blade Runner style world, with huge live action ads plastered all over. The days of static billboard ads are numbered, for sure.

scione

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2009
@ElCdt I dont think it would work too well. Couldn't you just find a free site to read the news instead of paying for a subscription.

G

imagine all the packaging ideas as well. they could put game play trailers on the back of retail game boxes. Or cooking show style instructions on the back of food products. the possibilities are endless.

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
[citation][nom]Pyroflea[/nom]The whole rolling thing doesn't seem overly practical, but the fact that it's that thin is nice. Laptops/Monitors/Tablets will all be able to get thinner and lighter now. That's pretty cool[/citation]How is this not practical??? Rolling up a 5x3 display into your pocket? Get real.

micky_lund

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
[citation][nom]DejaVuBoy[/nom]soon I'll be able to watch the news on my toilet paper[/citation]
if it had built in webcam, the news could also watch u :p

Zoonie

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2007
I think I have a magazine from 1996 with an article describing this and showing pictures of "under development" prototypes. Sony, you have talked about OLED for ages. Please release it already. We can use the stiff ones until you're done developing the flexibles!

Darkk

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2003
I can see big advertising companies will jump onto this technology fairly quickly. Imagine these flexible screens wrapped around utilitiy poles, ceilings of city buses, arm bands and etc.

If Sony can perfect this technology and long lasting betcha advertising companies will pour several millions of dollars in this thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.