Sony Doesn't Yet Know if Credit Card Info is Safe

Status
Not open for further replies.

slayer12bot

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
It is not my friends bank account got hacked after he received a message on psn about how they have his credit card information.

jednx01

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2008
Wow this is really starting to be a big problem for sony. If they end up losing a bunch of credit card info, the customer backlash is going to be absolutely enormous...

mman74

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
Right ... blame Sony for taking a strict line on a possible security threat?
Didn't Xbox Live users get their accounts account hacked with credit card info and cerdits stolen also a few years back? Wouldn't you have wanted MS to have taken a strict line on security. It seems to me that Sony are taking no risks here and are to be commended.

okibrian

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
I have lived in Japan now for almost 20 years and I can tell you that Japan is FAR behind the US when it comes to credit card security. If you have been here (Japan) a while and seen how sales are processed, and what POS systems where in use, you would understand what I'm talking about. They have no clue of PCI here and really do not care too much about securing card data. They are of the mind that the card cleared at the merchant so everything must be OK. That's about it. Think about that when you give Sony your credit card data.

okibrian

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
Example: We have a local PC shop (again, here in Japan) we by parts from here and the POS system they have still runs Windows 95! When I asked them why they have not upgraded yet they said it was because the software they had would not run on any newer version of Windows. So they have not upgraded the OS or POS software in 16 years!!!! Again, well the credit card cleared at the merchant so it must be OK, right? NOT! This is one of many that operate like this here.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
[citation][nom]jednx01[/nom]Wow this is really starting to be a big problem for sony. If they end up losing a bunch of credit card info, the customer backlash is going to be absolutely enormous...[/citation]No joke, people will be wishing they had used pre-paid cards instead. I'd certainly be leery of leaving my CC info in PSN after that.

Darkk

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2003
I deleted the CC info off of PSN a couple of months ago. Hopefully they actually purged it instead of keeping it like some other companies do.

11796pcs

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
Wow, this is really bad, but it probably happens all the time and this just may be one of the larger security hacks. What I don't get is why they don't save the data on your actual console and when you buy stuff they process the transaction then immediately delete it. It should work right? Also why does this never happen to the credit card companies themselves? Are their networks so much more special or something- is it good luck?

jalek

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007
I hope they didn't pay their "source" for the information, LOIC doesn't penetrate anything, it doesn't even scan, it just floods. The only "damage" is the DDoS.and traffic.

Someone probably socialed their way in through an employee and ran amok.
Recent layoffs couldn't possibly be related.

G

didn't citi or master cad had a breach as well? I recalled some bank too.....its happens everywhere as long as they use computer to store the info...even your kid can "breach" your credit card while you are sleeping...lol

spectrewind

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
Having purchased the original 60GB version of the PS3 when it was $600... The OtherOS problem Sony created for itself seems to have become something far more serious. Everything else continues to work fine.

I was using YellowDog Linux prior to the removal of OtherOS. I miss it, my HDMI cable, and a large desktop that worked great. I never hacked my machine.

I think to myself repeatedly, that if Sony had done "the right thing" for people who purchased their product, this kind of thing might not be happening.

This is my last Sony console... I have already recommended people I work with AVOID SONY (nurses, anesthesiologists, etc, that like to game, and they have the money to do it).

I have had 6 different families in my neighborhood ask me to help them with putting a decent gaming console in their living room. People with money to spend...
Three got a PC. Two got XBOX360. One got a WII.
Nobody bought a PS3, after is showed what has been happening after the last year.

SCEA:
I hope someone from Sony (with a brain and decision making power reads this). You had SIX FAMILIES that would have bought a PS3 had I told them to. I made sure NONE of them did, and they are happy.

Are you? NO? Really?

...Good!!

I legally own my games. I do my best to make anyone I talk to NOT buy anything with Sony's name on it. I am the anti-customer you didn't want. Congratulations!

sdeleon515

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2010
But you are missing the big point of this whole mess spectrewind, most people who pirated games for Xbox 360 got ban~hammered long~time back. Nintendo 3DS is threatening bricking for anyone using any other OS than the one that came to it. Fact is, homebrew wasn't an initial issue with Sony until pirating became huge and then they responded.

Fact that the service issue with PSN has tons to do with some off~shoot crusade about "omgz we're defending our fellow hackers" is pretty moronic. I'd put my money on one likely scenario: had homebrewing been very minimal with pirating games, there probably wouldn't have been a peep from anyone.

And plz don't give the fkn BS about "omgz sony is an evil evil company that controls its product". Hey pal unless you've been living under a rock I can change out Sony with Apple when it comes to a company managing its product. A Wii is as useless as a console and was a fad. Xbox 360 has, omgz, paying multi~player. Yea its a good console but I don't want to play for Xbox live, really why the fk do I want to?

If this is the outcome of every time makes a little crusade about "we're defending hackers" then how about stopping the pirating of games. I have 4 friends with Nintendo DS's. All of them homebrewed it and have hundreds of pirated games. I may buy my sh*t but yea, 1 person out of 4 buying? I can see how that works and I'm pretty damn sure for every single homebrew that there was on the PS3 there was at least 1 person pirating or adding mods to just fkn cheat a fps shooter.

vfighter

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
I know Sony and Valve should have tested all of this before hand, but what if it is Steam conflicting with PSN? I mean look at the timing. That would be crazy stupid, but I wouldn't put it past Sony to let something like that happen then not admit the truth because it would cast them in such a dim light.

kashifme21

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2009
Lol do we really expect them to admit. Think of the backlash if they admitted credit card details have been leaked.

PS: Sony is terrible lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.