Sony Ericsson: Dual Core Doesn't Mean Faster

Status
Not open for further replies.

mister g

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
It's worked for consoles so far. In the end it's all based on optimization, like the guy said. Still if this is going to be used for 2+ years you bet it'll be outdated if Sony doesn't release new hardware (like what happened with PCs).

fstrthnu

Distinguished
May 5, 2010
It all depends on the software. iPhone 4 runs just swell on a single-core processor while Android needs a dual-core processor to really kick ass. WP7 also doesn't necessarily need a dual-core processor to go flying.

But here Sony's talking about an Android phone intended for gaming. There's no excuse for leaving out the dual-core processor for this phone

bmouring

Distinguished
May 6, 2006
With the OS stacks that are running on phones these days (multiple processes, from tending the radio, managing the wifi, providing the UI, etc.) such a statement is a half-truth at best: it's true that any single application that's not designed for multithreading will not benefit from multiple cores, the system overall will feel snappier with more than one core if more than one application is running.

Wish I Was Wealthy

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
Also they're or should I type Sony are just saying this so that they can still get substantial sales of this product,before Sony decides to bring in another dual core smartphone eventually.

CPU666d1

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2011
I'd have to agee with wish i was wealthy,it seems to be all about money! You'll never see sony do anything much in this product line until it can give them larger sales than what they have now.

G

Dual core isn't faster, that's a fact.

Game developers consider Xperia PLAY GPU to be more efficient and faster than Tegra2 and other dual cores.
Tegra2 has an overall poor GPU and it puts a lot of stress on the CPU instead of handling most of the graphics by itself, so anything less than a dual core on Tegra would be flawed. High CPU use also means more battery use.
Also, Xperia Play handles fast textures and shaders faster according to Unity Game Developers blog files. Check link below:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1243036

Besides, Xperia PLAY is the best gaming and multimedia device out there and it's fun to play games with physical controller. Even if we say that dual cores handle graphics better (which they don't), playing games on them would still suck without physical keyboard.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1247183

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
What Sony has claimed does indeed have some truth to it. When Engadget reviewed the Tegra2-equipped LG Optimus X2, they noted that the extra core does not make itself evident unless one heavily taxes the system. Interested folks can look up the review on Engadget.

darkchazz

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2010
Single core phone? sure.
Adreno 205 gpu for gaming? no thanks.

That crappy gpu has a very very poor fillrate, no wander no game on android looks close to infinity blade and rage on ios, when games are being dumbed down to run well on this piece of crap...

junixophobia

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2011
Just another word for no innovation in the coming two years.

I can still remember that crappy SonyEriccson P990. Even browsing through the contacts is a pain. My point is they have a habit of selling slow device and this only proves how arrogant they are in improving their products.

However, I do notice that there is no (or limited) other device that have the same functionality(game and phone) so no competition at all the up the ante... that is why they might be able to get away with this...

tuch92

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2009
Ignoring the argument about which is faster, it's nice to see a company stick behind a product to make it the best it can be, instead of selling it then trying to impress the next round of consumers. I give em props for that.

Dark Comet

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2008
Even if a game is single threaded it should perform better on a dual core CPU because it can offload everything else that's running on the phone to the second core. I fail to see Sony's logic here. Still they obviously don't need more power to run the PS1 games.

leper84

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2010
Right and people were saying single core CPUs would still run faster on PC vs a dual core when they first came out... look where we're at now. Sounds pretty anti-innovative to me but that is Sony. Look at what they've helped do to the gaming industry and then think if you want that type of stagnation with smartphones too.

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
a single core Celeron G440 running @ 1.6Ghz performed better overall (sysmark 2012) than a dual core AMD E350 @ 1.6Ghz and a dual core with HT Atom D525 @ 1.8Ghz. so it may be true depending on the CPU architecture and the application being run.

Status
Not open for further replies.