Sony Ericsson Hints to PSP Phone

Status
Not open for further replies.

jenesuispasbavard

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
Anything based on the PSP Go is destined to failure. How can you release a product that doesn't play games made for the same family of products (the PSP Go doesn't play regular PSP UMDs)?

idisarmu

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2008
All they really need to do imo is increase the ram to 256mb ram (512 preferably just for future-proofing) and add a capacitive fwvga (854x480) screen with an on-screen qwerty keyboard. If they then add flash support, wireless g or n (instead of b on the regular psp), a camera, and of course 2g + edge and 3g- they'd have a complete and AWESOME phone on their hands. I like the interface on the psp VERY much, and it would be very simple to use if they added a tab for "phone" or placed "phone" as an app under the network tab (or whatever that thing is called where they have the psn, skype, and browser apps)

I bet they'd only have to increase the price to $500 to do that, as opposed the $700 of the Storm2, iphone 3gs (700+), and n900.

After all, the current pspgo is $250. The screen would add $100-150?, the hardware upgrades another $100-150? That would put it up to $500-600. Even at $600, it would still be a great deal considering you get a pspgo AND a smartphone in one device.

wintermint

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2009
[citation][nom]jenesuispasbavard[/nom]Anything based on the PSP Go is destined to failure. How can you release a product that doesn't play games made for the same family of products (the PSP Go doesn't play regular PSP UMDs)?[/citation]

What does that has to do with basing a phone on the PSP GO? Anyway I think they need to worry about portability cuz PSP/ PSP GO will never be as portable as your average cellphone :)

idisarmu

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2008
[citation][nom]jenesuispasbavard[/nom]Anything based on the PSP Go is destined to failure. How can you release a product that doesn't play games made for the same family of products (the PSP Go doesn't play regular PSP UMDs)?[/citation]

You don't think all-digital distribution makes sense for phones? Why don't you go argue that with 100% of all phone manufacturers? PS: This is a pspPHONE, not a regular psp.

Perhaps sony is going to make like apple and release a 3g and gps-less version of this pspPHONE to replace the pspgo. With a higher resolution and full flash support, the psp would make a great MID.

idisarmu

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2008
[citation][nom]wintermint[/nom]What does that has to do with basing a phone on the PSP GO? Anyway I think they need to worry about portability cuz PSP/ PSP GO will never be as portable as your average cellphone[/citation]

Have you seen the xperia X10? I don't think sony is worried about portability when it releases 4+" screened phones that are over 0.5" thick.

hillarymakesmecry

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2009
UMD's are a worthless outdated technology and Sony was smart to move away from the technology. The rest of the PSP platform is really outdated though. I think it came out in 2004. They could produce something much more capable and just ahve backwards compatibility with the PSP go games.

It would be AWESOME to have a 4" touchscreen phone with dual analog sticks and buttons to play games. Touchscreen can only work so well.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
Increase the screen to 4" (as opposed to the current 3.8", just remove some of the unneeded bezel), a 1GHz CPU (the really old 333MHz CPU is lacking), 256MB of RAM (the PSPgo has 32MB, sad), 854x480 resolution (as opposed to a measly 480x272), a second analog stick (were the current start.select are, just move the srat/select up), 3G wireless, GPS (sync it to Google maps, and give me accuracy within a few metres, and I'll make a damned mounting bracket on my bike for it), and microSD (as opposed to the horridly expensive M2), a good touch screen, and I'll pay whatever Sony wants me to.

I want a full out MID or smart phone that can game =)
I can also completely rely on VOiP fotr calling as long as it has 3G.
The PSPgo (N1000) is cheaper to produce than the PSP slim (3000), but for some reason costs $100 more (16 gigs of crappy slow memory isn't a good excuse). They also need to work on battery life (the PSPgo has the same battery life as its predecessors). Or just make the battery removable (so I can keep 2-3 on hand). Allowing full access of the PS2 library would be absolutely sweet for gaming.

Offer me a phone that can somewhat game, a MID than can barely phone or game, or a PSP that can do both, I'll take the PSP. I wouldn't mind a 3G only phone either.

There's a lot of potential here, and people like me would pay a lot of money for it. Your crappy iPhone doesn't have a analog stick does it?

pertshire

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2009
Sounds exciting. Maybe they could use the lower half of pspGo as a qwerty touchscreen. Maybe they could make dual screen like in the ds for higher res suff.

welshmousepk

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
its only 'based' on the PSPgo. i imagine it will look different (more phone like).

i like the idea though, i don't like having to carry around a phone AND a gaming device. the iPhone was a good compromise, but i prefer the idea of something thats a console first, and a phone second. not the other way around.

but since the PSP2 will most likely be getting announced this year, i doubt a phone based on the GO is going to solve my problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.