Sony Halts Sales and Production of OLED HDTVs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bert R

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2009
So, to quote you, just to be sure I understand your article, this is how the article is supposed to read:

Sony Halts Sales and Production of OLED HDTVs
Could this signal the beginning of the end for OLED TVs?

-and then-

Sony's reason to discontinue the TV in Japan is due to a new legislation for filtering controls of adult content for the protection of youth.

-and finally-

Rather than re-tool the XEL-1 for the new filters, Sony likely found it to make more sense to just remove it from the market.

Am I missing something here?

doorspawn

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
It'd be so nice if TVs and monitors displayed images and transmission decoder boxes sent them the raster data.

Then TV manufacturers wouldn't have to worry about content filtering, which can vary country to country.

Also, you wouldn't have to upgrade your screen when a new signal type arrived (eg fibre or digital), nor upgrade your decoder when you wanted a larger / clearer TV.

Perhaps the cost would be duplicating the AC/DC transformer? Maybe make this separate too. (Perhaps later on you can get DC power all generated from one transformer per household).

hakesterman

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2008
It's a typo, it states that it is a Bigscreen, so that means that it is at least a 42" TV. That is still alot
of money for a 42 inch TV, than again if you want the latest and Greatest your going to pay for it. I
think it's all moveing too fast. Both my Bro and i have 120HZ Big screen TV's, we both have Bluray
players and have Comcast and neither the cable stations or the bluray movies are useing 120HZ
technology yet, and their selling 240 HZ already and were stuck wathing everything in 66HZ 1080I. Thanks Comcast and Thanks HollyWood for those slow picture refresh movies.

porksmuggler

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2008
[citation][nom]hakesterman[/nom]It's a typo, it states that it is a Bigscreen, so that means that it is at least a 42" TV.[/citation]

um, not a typo, the XEL-1 is 11"

athreex

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2008
[citation][nom]hakesterman[/nom]It's a typo, it states that it is a Bigscreen, so that means that it is at least a 42" TV. That is still alotof money for a 42 inch TV, than again if you want the latest and Greatest your going to pay for it. Ithink it's all moveing too fast. Both my Bro and i have 120HZ Big screen TV's, we both have Blurayplayers and have Comcast and neither the cable stations or the bluray movies are useing 120HZtechnology yet, and their selling 240 HZ already and were stuck wathing everything in 66HZ 1080I. Thanks Comcast and Thanks HollyWood for those slow picture refresh movies.[/citation]

Dude. IT IS an ELEVEN (11) diagonal MEASURE INCH OLED TV. I've seen it live in the Sony Store Showroom. It is pretty small, although the picture makes it look huge. Do some googling/binging so you can compare its size with other TVs or any other objects. :)

justiceguy216

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
[citation][nom]bolap[/nom]Bluray is 1080p, 120hz is just refresh rate, doesn't have anything to do with prog or interlaced.[/citation]
Actually those things are all related... Thumbs me down if i'm wrong, up if i'm right.

bolap

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2010
[citation][nom]justiceguy216[/nom]Actually those things are all related... Thumbs me down if i'm wrong, up if i'm right.[/citation]

They're related as far as pull down adjustment is concerned but the op worded in a way that unless you have a 120hz tv you cannot watch bluray movies in 1080p.

bolap

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2010
Of course 1080p @ 120hz 24 fps BD will look better than 1080p @ 60hz 24 fps BD.

As far as cable is concerned though it doesn't matter what your refresh rate is because 1080p cable TV doesn't exist yet.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
the general public does not have this kind of money to spend on a tv when you can get technology that's just as good when it comes to image quality. plasma televisions are still the best in my own opinion, led tv? the colors aren't as good as a top of the line plasma tv, not to mention that a good plasma will be less than a crappy led tv. led televisions are way too bright, and the colors are too saturated.

bunz_of_steel

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2008
maybe it's just me but what the heck does an OLED TV got to do with controls for filtering adult content? gonna password protect the screen or somethin?

Status
Not open for further replies.