Sony Hands Out PSP2 Dev Kits

Status
Not open for further replies.

restatement3dofted

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010
Admittedly, I am not a big follower of the handheld market anymore, but I'd be surprised if Sony decided to release the PSP2 without the opportunity to showcase it (or, at the very least, announce it) at E3 first. A march 2011 release would mean they'd lose the benefit of a major gaming event to publicize it, as well as missing the holiday rush.

Given the widespread appeal of the 3DS, and that Apple's products are starting to be competitive (supposedly, at least) in the handheld gaming arena, Sony has a lot to lose if they screw up the launch of the PSP2. Seems unlikely they'd rush to release it without giving it sufficient time to build hype. Additionally, I have no idea when they handed out dev kits, but they certainly want to provide enough time for developers to produce the sort of big launch lineup they seem to be going for. They don't really gain anything by rushing to launch in the first or second quarter of 2011 - holiday 2011 seems much more likely.

But hey, what do I know? (Answer: not much). Just my $.02.

prodigygamer

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2010
Meh...it's Sony.

Lost all respect for them as a company after being so poorly treated as a customer in some of their MMO's and having trouble with warrenty's on a Tele.

I won't buy Sony again but that's just me.

prodigygamer

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2010
[citation][nom]Restatement3dofTed[/nom]Admittedly, I am not a big follower of the handheld market anymore, but I'd be surprised if Sony decided to release the PSP2 without the opportunity to showcase it (or, at the very least, announce it) at E3 first. A march 2011 release would mean they'd lose the benefit of a major gaming event to publicize it, as well as missing the holiday rush. Given the widespread appeal of the 3DS, and that Apple's products are starting to be competitive (supposedly, at least) in the handheld gaming arena, Sony has a lot to lose if they screw up the launch of the PSP2. Seems unlikely they'd rush to release it without giving it sufficient time to build hype. Additionally, I have no idea when they handed out dev kits, but they certainly want to provide enough time for developers to produce the sort of big launch lineup they seem to be going for. They don't really gain anything by rushing to launch in the first or second quarter of 2011 - holiday 2011 seems much more likely.But hey, what do I know? (Answer: not much). Just my $.02.[/citation]

Sony rush a lot of things including their MMO's with SOE, for example: Vanguard Sage of Heroes, best MMO out to date and with a rushed release, bad publicity and all the bugs, 4 years down the track after the game has been cleaned up no one knows about it, whichis a shame, as I said, BEST MMO out to date in my opinion.

Check out the free trial for yourself if you don't believe me :)

scione

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2009
Oh man I cant wait for this. although I may be one of the few but I want my psp and phone separate. I mean I dont want to have to pay monthly just to play on it.

restatement3dofted

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010
[citation][nom]prodigygamer[/nom]Sony rush a lot of things including their MMO's with SOE, for example: Vanguard Sage of Heroes, best MMO out to date and with a rushed release, bad publicity and all the bugs, 4 years down the track after the game has been cleaned up no one knows about it, whichis a shame, as I said, BEST MMO out to date in my opinion.Check out the free trial for yourself if you don't believe me[/citation]

Oh, I don't disagree that it isn't in Sony's nature to do things hastily, but there's a big difference between rushing a game, and rushing a console. They've got a lot more to lose if they don't take enough time to properly design, test, promote, and hype a new console (although the same is true if they take too long to do all of that, as well).

Ultimately, all I'm saying is that it seems unlikely, given that they haven't even officially announced the system, that they'd release it (a) after the holiday 2010 season, and (b) before having a chance to showcase it at any type of gaming show. Maybe they will, but it seems like that would be a huge mistake on their part.

mman74

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
I like the sounds of this. I mean App Store games are fine for passing the time away, but for some serious protable gaming, it has to be the PSP. NDS - for kids really. 3DS? not my cup of tea.
But with a nice big screen, decent app store, a powerful processor, and less restrictions on what I can do with it all and we have a pretty powerful combination here. Let's judge the product when it arrives!

adamboy64

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
I could see myself getting if it was in phone format.. I was pretty excited for a PSPhone. But overall I think i'll stick with my DS.

The best way the PSP2 will be able to compete with the 3DS is for it to take a different path and try focus on power, rather than innovation.

It'll need to do everything right, and have a lot of luck to beat the 3DS in sales. I don't think it will, but that doesn't mean it won't be a great handheld though.

brother shrike

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009
Passing out PSP2s well before they're even announced? Sounds like a good idea on Sony's part. They've obviously learned something from the whole PS3 (and to a lesser extent, PSP) launch fiascos - none of the developers really knew the SDKs well enough to make decent games, and as such the competition got a huge head start in terms of market share and game catalog. The PS3 is definitely catching up, or has caught up, but it seems to me that the PSP never really took off, at least not outside of Japan.

jazn1337

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010
Geez, if the 3DS could be considered a stealth hardware release, if they plan on a Q4 2010 release... How do they plan on spreading hype?

tubers

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2008
Sounds like a bit of a mix up with the rumored PSP phone frome Sony Ericson. I sure hope the PSP2 would be announced ASAP.

Status
Not open for further replies.