Sony HDR-CX380b - Video Editing Software Compatibility

Randle McMurphy

Estimable
Aug 24, 2014
Folks, I need your help - and quickly - on determining whether or not any video editing software, such as Premier Elements, PowerDirector, etc. support the Sony HDR-CX380B camcorder. I have a need to buy a camcorder in the next few days and I really like this model and features, however, if it is not compatible with any budget type video editing software such as Premiere Elements or PowerDirector I may revisit other options. I cannot afford software more than the $100.00 price point for an editing program. I cannot imagine that it would NOT be compatible with one of these programs, but I've read on a Photoshop forum from one owner of the CX380 that PE did NOT recognize this camcorder, so I'm a bit leary. I've looked online at each manufacturers compatibility pages but they do not specifically mention this model, which even adds to my apprehension. Yes, I intend on calling each one this week and ask, but was just wondering if anyone uses this model currently. No since buying a video machine if there is no editing software than can support it.
Please help me if you own this Sony model. What editing software do you use?

Thank you!

Jim

Solution
Photoshop Elements is not designed for video editing. The AVCHD format has been around long enough that you should not have any problem importing and editing the video with any of the video editors you mentioned. Another editor that is under $100 is Corel VideoStudio Pro or Platinum should work with that video type as well.

"Adobe Premiere Elements supported import/export formats include: AVCHD, Blu-ray Disc (export only), DV-AVI (import/ export on Windows, import only on Mac OS), DVD, Dolby® Digital Stereo, H.264, HDV, MPEG-1 (import only), MPEG-2, MPEG-4, MP3, QuickTime, Windows Media (Windows only), and many more. Import/export of some formats may require activation via an Internet connection. Activation is fast, easy, and...
Photoshop Elements is not designed for video editing. The AVCHD format has been around long enough that you should not have any problem importing and editing the video with any of the video editors you mentioned. Another editor that is under $100 is Corel VideoStudio Pro or Platinum should work with that video type as well.

"Adobe Premiere Elements supported import/export formats include: AVCHD, Blu-ray Disc (export only), DV-AVI (import/ export on Windows, import only on Mac OS), DVD, Dolby® Digital Stereo, H.264, HDV, MPEG-1 (import only), MPEG-2, MPEG-4, MP3, QuickTime, Windows Media (Windows only), and many more. Import/export of some formats may require activation via an Internet connection. Activation is fast, easy, and free."
Source: http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere-elements/tech-specs.html

"Can I edit AVCHD in CyberLink PowerDirector?

CyberLink PowerDirector Ultra now fully supports AVCHD:
•capture (from an AVCHD disc)
•import of files
•editing, directly in the native transport stream format (.M2TS)
•production in the AVCHD format
•disc burning
•output AVCHD structure on flash memory"
Source: http://www.cyberlink.com/support/product-faq-content.do?id=9940&prodId=4

Corel Video Studio Pro X7
"You can import DVD, AVCHD, BDMV video and photos from a disc,
hard drive, memory card and digital camcorders."
Source: http://product.corel.com/help/VideoStudio/540230380/Main/EN/User-Guide/CorelVideoStudio.pdf

Solution