Solved! Sony HTZ9F Soundbar

Zero56

Estimable
Dec 30, 2015
I paired my new Sony HTZ9F Soundbar with my Vizio 65” P Series TV. Paired easy and works great. The TV remote controls both soundbar and TV, however the volume level on the TV always shows higher than the soundbar: TV volume level is 20 and soundbar is 10. Is there a way to match the two displays?

Solution
I would expect not.

Sound/loudness is measured in decibels. And that is not a linear scale.

The volume level bars are mostly just reference points for the end user. All that is needed to know is that (on any given device) that 15 is louder than 10. Or 25 is louder than 20.

Humans hear subjectively. One of the most common phrases in any household is "turn it down" or, just as likely, "turn it up".

So we turn the knob or step the switch up or down and the volume goes up and down by some incremental amount.

Most people quickly discover their preferred value on the volume level.

Yes it would be nice if all the devices used some common reference point so I could set my volume level number on any device and hear the desired...
I would expect not.

Sound/loudness is measured in decibels. And that is not a linear scale.

The volume level bars are mostly just reference points for the end user. All that is needed to know is that (on any given device) that 15 is louder than 10. Or 25 is louder than 20.

Humans hear subjectively. One of the most common phrases in any household is "turn it down" or, just as likely, "turn it up".

So we turn the knob or step the switch up or down and the volume goes up and down by some incremental amount.

Most people quickly discover their preferred value on the volume level.

Yes it would be nice if all the devices used some common reference point so I could set my volume level number on any device and hear the desired "loudness".

Maybe a 5 on a scale of 10. But that could easily just have been a 10 on a scale of 20. Unfortunately, I doubt that anyone will agree to what volume level number should map to a specific decibel value.

Which becomes even more problematic between a linear scale and a logarithmic scale.

Some systems do use and display decibel scales - more for professionals and purists I think.

You can read more at the following link:

https://www.explainthatstuff.com/soundlevelmeters.html

Many other similar links to be found.

Solution