Sony laptop has no display.

clubmaker50

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009
Laptop VPCCW21FX- I was just given this laptop with a cracked screen. When i powered up the laptop the upper left corner had some color display. I removed the lcd screen and later powered up the laptop using an external display....Here is the issue, i get only a black screen on the external, i have tried the fn-f7 to toggle between displays but get only black screen the power is on,the HD lites up for 3 sec and the fan is on. Is it possible that the lid close switch (wherever that is) is not working properly? what next?

JeckeL

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2009

Some laptops have the display selector set up to where you press the button and it brings up a little UI that shows different display choices (i.e. VGA, HDMI, etc), is that how yours is set up? Obviously you're getting a blank screen on the external monitor, so you might have to try and navigate the UI without being able to see it... Press the display function button, then press the right arrow key once and hit enter, keep repeating this and see if the display switches to the monitor

clubmaker50

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009
I mentioned the lid because we have a HP laptop the we stream from the internet to a TV via HDMI and when we close the laptop lid the picture goes black on the TV until we open the lid again. Anyway...Its hard to believe that this sony laptop im working on for someone, who said they were using it with an external monitor before they brought it to me. All i've done is power it up and saw light in the upper corner of the cracked lcd screen, so then i removed the screen and i also had to work on the lid hinges,where used some super glue on the lid behind the hinges and the next day put the screws back into both hinges. also...NOTE that when i first powered down the laptop i had to hold the power button for 4 sec. I had the ram out but was unable to chect it. The FN/F7 buttons are used to switch to external monitor, which i've tried but failed. The hard drive lite (amber) is never on more that 2 or 3 sec ? I guess i should try the external HDMI next . I still wonder about the lid switch because i did work on the hinges?