Sony: Next Firmware Update Brings Minis to PS3

Status
Not open for further replies.

ckthecerealkiller

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2008
[citation][nom]Kevin Parrish[/nom]the whole concept behind PSP minis is ultimately a rip-off of Apple's App Store[/citation]

Yes because there has never been an app store, dedicated to one device, in the history of electronics......

Is there any way I can block Kevin from my RSS feed?

ANYWAY, I really hope that they can scale the games to 1080p that would increase the value tremendously.

Manos

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
Sounds about right since Minis are a steal on a worthless decive which thank God not many got fooled to go buy since its worst, for a PS3 price and you get more than the older model which accepts the games on physical form too.. Sony, bringing Minis to PS3 ( which is pointless cause who wants to be playing such low rez games on 1080p..? and no they wont increase textures cause Minis are limited to 50 or 100MBs? Dont remember.) is the only way for the developers that were found so far and wasted time on creating minis to sell somehow since there is no consumer base on PSPGo..

nitto555rchallenger

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
v3.15 firmware update allows PlayStation 3 owners to transfer data between consoles connected via Ethernet cable
Why the hell would i want to waste my energy doing that when a usb flash drive is the most effective way of data transfer. I own a PSP, the only i use it for is Grand Turismo that's it. Pointless Sony.

Honis

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
the whole concept behind PSP minis is ultimately a rip-off of Apple's App Store: provide a small morsel of an application for a few bucks.
Right, because Nintendo didn't have games on the cheap that provided hours of mostly mundane repetitive tasks.

Kevin, you are an uninitiated member of the Tom's staff. Marcus and Jane have greatly improved how they report their news stories in the past few months. I thought you were also improving but your uninformed opinions trying to press a personal agenda of making a mp3 player out to be the god of all electronics litter ALL of your PSP articles and iPhone "game" reviews.

You aren't an opinion columnist. You are a parrot news reporter. Barely better than a blogger. Do your job and just repeat the news without covering it in your waste.

touchdowntexas13

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
Alright since everyone seems to be on the subject of Kevin, I guess I will just throw in my two cents. It is pretty obvious that this article started with the Sony Minis in a negative light.

the whole concept behind PSP minis is ultimately a rip-off of Apple's App Store: provide a small morsel of an application for a few bucks

A few months ago, Sony
launched its meager Minis library

it's answer to Apple's iPod Touch and the plethora of gaming apps on the App Store

I do agree that Sony has somewhat "ripped off" of the app store, but who really cares. That's how competition works. And it's not like the Apple app store is an idea straight from Apple. They took ideas (big or small) from other sources as well.

So, yes this article does cover the basic information surrounding the Minis on the PS3. But it shows such a bias in the beginning that i almost feel i cannot take anything in this article for truth. Maybe I should know better, but does Kevin do this on purpose or does he just not pick up on his own biases while editing (assuming he does)?

Kevin is right to say that the minis library is "meager". He is right to say that the apple app store has a "plethora" of gaming apps. He might even be able to get away with using the term "ripoff", but i think a better phrase would be "Sony's answer to Apple app store".

BUT...

This is NOT the article for those comparisons. The purpose of this article SHOULD be to inform the readers of the new Sony Minis. The purpose should NOT be to persuade readers into believing this new service by Sony is inferior.

If you are going to write an article comparing two products/services, then do that. If you are writing an informative article about a single product/service, then do that. Don't mix the two together as it shows an immaturity in writing style and makes readers question your knowledge of the said product/service.

Well that's two cents, though i think i lengthened it to maybe a dollar or so. By the way I just purchased an Ipod Touch 3g (first time Apple buyer). I think it's one heckuva device. For me it does just about everything i could want it to. But i would never write an article like this. I consider it a malpractice in writing, and the sad thing is that there are many other reporters and media folk out there that do the same thing.

:/ sigh

bin1127

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
It's a bit of a waste to play these mini-games when the ps3 was intended for HD gameplay. I wouldn't spend time playing solitaire on my core i7.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
Only if the PSP was a open platform...
The guys who have hacked the PSPgo aren't sharing yet...
However, some guys have apparantly figured how to run homebrew, but not hacked games. This is more than enough for me.

The PSN store also needs work... a lot of it.
I understand you don't want to undercut your FutureShop or EBgames buddies, but common, make the damned digital versions cheaper!
Hell, I can grab most games cheaper via UMD anyways. $40 is just too much for a game that only has a couple hours of gameplay.
The accessories are sickly overpriced. NDS full accessory pack - $20. PSPgo hard case - $20, AV cable - $20, RGB AV - $30...

Please Sony, get your junk together with the PSP already.

zerapio

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2002
[citation][nom]ssalim[/nom]A quickie? here's it.Kevin thinks this site is his blog. His posts are ridden with spelling errors and personal opinions.[/citation]

Here's an example: "A few months ago, Sony launched its meager Minis library alongside the debut of the PSPgo, it's answer to Apple's iPod Touch and the plethora of gaming apps on the App Store." I think the intention was to use its. However, since PSPgo was mentioned right before it causes confusion as to who the subject is, Sony or PSPgo. I'd have written it like this: "A few months ago, Sony launched its meager Minis library alongside the debut of the PSPgo to answer Apple's iPod Touch and the plethora of gaming apps on the App Store."

antilycus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
wait a second more then 1 person bought a ps3? and if so, more then 1 ps3 in one family? riiiiiiigghhhtt.... the world has too much money to spend. PS3 = blu-ray player, then a video game machine, then a george forman grill. I play games, thats why I own a 360. I also play games online in the best possible manner, thats why I own a 360. I watch downloaded movies, thats why I own a 360.

badaxe2

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2008
[citation][nom]Antilycus[/nom]wait a second more then 1 person bought a ps3? and if so, more then 1 ps3 in one family? riiiiiiigghhhtt.... the world has too much money to spend. PS3 = blu-ray player, then a video game machine, then a george forman grill. I play games, thats why I own a 360. I also play games online
in the best possible manner, thats why I own a 360. I watch downloaded movies, thats why I own a 360.[/citation]
[citation][nom]Antilycus[/nom]wait a second more then 1 person bought a ps3? and if so, more then 1 ps3 in one family? riiiiiiigghhhtt.... the world has too much money to spend. PS3 = blu-ray player, then a video game machine, then a george forman grill. I play games, thats why I own a 360. I also play games online
in the best possible manner, thats why I own a 360. I watch downloaded movies, thats why I own a 360.[/citation]

LOL at the Xbox 360 having the best games, online service, and movie playing ability.
Each successive PS3 exclusive makes the 360's look more and more uninspiring and mediocre. Their online service is the only one to charge an additional fee for the same content available for free on a PC, it has zero dedicated servers (plenty of lag/disconnects in Halo 3 and Gears of War 2, and plenty of disgruntled gamers complaining about it on gaming forums), and have a file size limit for downloadable content. Yeah, great service they have there. And only being able to stream HD movies is far from a comprehensive and fully fledged movie player.
Other than "all my friends use Xbox Live, so....", Halo 3 and Gears of War 2, there really isn't a good reason to own an Xbox 360 at this point.
Then there's Natal, which is more gimmicky than the Wii motion controls, and the high latencies that come with it would make it very impractical for use in the 360's most popular games, which are shooters. Maybe they'll capture some of the casual crowd with it, but by then Sony and obviously Nintendo will have gotten most of them anyways.
The only commendable thing Microsoft has done with Xbox is make online console gaming more popular, and considering it isn't even doing that very well from a functional/quality standpoint, what else is there.

The icing on the cake is how Microsoft is cannibalizing their GFWL initiative. Funny how a PC software company cares more about a console then their bread and butter.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
awwee come on lay of of kenvin every oen here knows he speaks the word of god ! apple did every thing first and did it best. thjey have the number 1 computer evah, they have been the number one in gameingsony who ? ms who ? nintendo who ? apple stomps them all and we all know it!
apples are teh only thing that runs crysis for god's sake !!!!!

LOL ok jokes aside kevin you are a douchebag

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
holy crap! sony are letting you freely transfer files between consoles!?
wow so guess they don't care about piracy any more... as long as its between sony products...

thats how I read it any way.

oh yeah, and minis are awesome, you should all buy them! (they are under psp games in the playstation store fyi)

but I wouldn't hold your breath for them looking any good on the ps3...

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
oh yeah and seeing statements like "minis is ultimately a rip-off of Apple's App Store"

and suddenly it becomes clear how the patent system could be so f'ed up.

Status
Not open for further replies.