Sony NGP to be ''Less Investment Heavy''

Status
Not open for further replies.

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
I'd say up to $300. I just can't see them successfully selling any for a higher price. Although given the specs in comparison to current high-end smart phones, which can cost ~$500 alone and ~$200 with a 2 yr contract, $300 seems perfectly reasonable for a high-end portable media/gaming device.

gerchokas

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2011
"less investment heavy"?? They recycled the original PSP 1000 concept THREE times since *2004* on the 2000/3000 series and then on the crappy PSP Go!! Seven years producing the same device doesnt seem much of an investment to me.!

RisnDevil

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
Would LOVE for this to be no more than $300, but expecting a $350-$400 pricepoint.

The smart phone arguement is valid, except for your extrapolated answer. The arguement would be more valid if you said the cost of current smart phones, which are less full featured or powerful, would justify a $500 tag.

It will be interesting to see the "fallout" due to this launching so closely to the 3DS, with each device having its own....."gimmicks"....

zulutech

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2011
[citation][nom]tacoslave[/nom]Less than $200 and they will CRUSH the competition.[/citation]
I agree, wholeheartedly.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]gerchokas[/nom]"less investment heavy"?? They recycled the original PSP 1000 concept THREE times since *2004* on the 2000/3000 series and then on the crappy PSP Go!! Seven years producing the same device doesnt seem much of an investment to me.![/citation]

a single cpu for a console can cost over 1 billion to develop, and usually with a handhold they need a gpu developed or customized for it too, instead of taking a custom current or next gen model.

r&d for this crap is expensive as hell. im guessing they got the whole thing for under 1 billion.

all that said, i could see paying 400 for it if it can run games on hdtv some how, if it cant, than 300.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]gerchokas[/nom]"less investment heavy"?? They recycled the original PSP 1000 concept THREE times since *2004* on the 2000/3000 series and then on the crappy PSP Go!! Seven years producing the same device doesnt seem much of an investment to me.![/citation]
Porche's done the same since they stopped making 356 in favor of the 911. Yet they've managed to grow big enough to purchase VAG (means they sort of own volkswagen, audi, lambo, bugatti, skoda & seat).
So it's kinda not that bad a strategy. Attempt to improve what already looks to be a working concept.

That being said, I don't own any of the items mentioned.

Thunderfox

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2006
Smartphones don't cost anywhere near $600 to build, they just charge that because they can. A powerful handheld could be sold for $300 or less, it's just a question of how much money Sony wants to make on each one they sell. Hopefully they learned a lesson from doing too much too fast with the PSP and charging an arm and a leg for it. Nobody bought them until the price dropped.

Even so, $300 is a lot for a handheld. Sony isn't Nintendo, who own the kids market, but I would not want my kid to be carrying around a $300 toy in their pocket.

nexus9113

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2010
I see a launch price at least the same as the original ($300), but if it is more than $350 I'll probably extend my wait.

Honestly, the deciding factor for me nowadays is what games will be available at launch. If they pull a 3DS and have nothing but shovelware (especially at their launch since it will be around the holiday season), I would probably end up waiting a year, year and half to let a library build up to see if the investment was worth it. Kinda made that mistake with the original PSP as most of the good games didn't start hitting the shelves 'till after that time period.

Sony you need to learn from the Big N's blunder and wait for at least half of the big games you'll be promising at E3 to be ready before launch, and not just one (SSFIV, if you consider that "big").

Parsian

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2007
Judging from the picture, it looks a bit bulky. I dont know why there is no Tegra 3 device. I wish MSFT design its only platform with Tegra 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.