Sony Not Reimbursing Retailers over "Other OS"

Status
Not open for further replies.

crabsncancer

Distinguished
May 19, 2008
The choice is simple. If you feel betrayed by SCE's actions, don't buy any of their products again. Otherwise this is really a non-issue for the majority of PS3 owners out there.

hotroderx

Distinguished
May 15, 2008
Seems like a good way to lose customers

"But as THINQ points out, consumers can chose not to install the updates, use the PS3 as Sony intends, or request a refund from the retailer and use that money to purchase an Xbox 360."

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
I love my PS3, but I HATE to be forced to upgrade or else!

This is NOT a good business practice form Sony's part, although I never used teh "other OS" feature, many times I thought about it.... for some time in the future, but now there is no future
errr option.

Also I know about Sony giving us upgrades to fix this or add that
but this was not an upgrade but a blatant downgrade, and I don't beleive that is just a "small minority" that was affected by this malicious downgrade.

G

Come on.. I mean how many people actually bought PS3's to run Linux? Yeah it's cool and all that it could do that, but it's little more than a toy- like iPod Linux. Serious users will be running on x86 or other supported platforms.

Load of fuss over nothing.

spectrewind

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
[citation][nom]darraghcoy[/nom]Come on.. I mean how many people actually bought PS3's to run Linux? Yeah it's cool and all that it could do that, but it's little more than a toy- like iPod Linux. Serious users will be running on x86 or other supported platforms.Load of fuss over nothing.[/citation]

You missed the point. But you are not alone in this.

jimbo21

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
Exactly darraghcoy,
For the general user,(everyone on this site) linux is just a little extra bonus with no purpose, its a gaming system get over it, you paid $300 for an excellent gaming system and a blu-ray player, what more do you want? You guys dont use these things for supercomputers or clusters but i guess you can all dwell on it.

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]jimbo21[/nom]Exactly darraghcoy, For the general user,(everyone on this site) linux is just a little extra bonus with no purpose, its a gaming system get over it, you paid $300 for an excellent gaming system and a blu-ray player, what more do you want? You guys dont use these things for supercomputers or clusters but i guess you can all dwell on it.[/citation]

What MORE do people want? Here's a reality check, idiot. The Other OS feature was something Sony promoted BEFORE THE LAUNCH OF THE CONSOLE.

It is not about wanting more, it's about wanting what was PAYED for.

siman

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2009
i did so i have boxed up my ps3 and bought a xbox 360. my old ps3's primary function as my personal pc on the go is null... i as well hope retailers in response for throwing them out to the copping block is to remove there products from their shelves.

Platypus

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
If you bought Microsoft Office a year ago and suddenly Microsoft disabled the use of Outlook for the rest of eternity, would you not feel cheated? Sure, you still get like 5 other programs with Office, but Outlook is on that little list of "Included with this purchase..."

HalJordan

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
Did Sony provide any compensation to users after that stripped Linux support? Anything at all? Would have been good form to offer a free movie or game download.

vcbb10

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2010
All sony would have to do is give away a crappy game to people who called or something. Make it a little more difficult then filling out a form online, and it would keep most people happy, or at least not pissed. As it stands now they just set themselves up to be blasted on internet forums and other places.

briandr

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2008
calling this update an upgrade is a joke, all it did was take away a feature. didnt even add any features that loyal customers have been asking for.

i for one feel cheated, not everyone agrees but the fact is that it was an advertized feature that had nothing to do with the playstation online/online gaming etc

not good for business to make your cutomers choose linux or online gaming/bd watching when both were advertized

G

What's effing next? XMB will be removed due to vulnerabilities, USB port, WIFI will be disabled, hackerws can get in HDMI and internet access, it will be disabled.

So, what the Fk next?!!

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
I still want to buy a PS3 (mostly for a bluray player, as the bluray drive in my laptop failed and I don't have the stuff for warranty, and I have both Pulse and Space Balls waiting for me).
Though removal of linux support is disappointing.

What's next, removing bluetooth headset and 'other HDD' support?

Manos

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
[citation][nom]darraghcoy[/nom]Come on.. I mean how many people actually bought PS3's to run Linux? Yeah it's cool and all that it could do that, but it's little more than a toy- like iPod Linux. Serious users will be running on x86 or other supported platforms.Load of fuss over nothing.[/citation]

Its people like you that let Sony and Apple keep up with their practices and be so thoughtless and not give a flying f**k about us the consumers. Just please, next time, buy them the condom before you bend over..

G

Sony is a company with no honour.

I suggest class action suites. They certainly sold the units with full knowledge that some users were buying it because of it Linux capabilities. Lets say one half the price of each unit sold a guess $200 * 20 million units sold, plus lawyer fees. Could add up to Billions.

Oops it may just impact Sony's ability to deliver products to the non other os users.

They would have been smarter to have charged Linux users more for initial purchase. Then they could have made more per unit with Linux and maybe a profit and no one could have complained if they charged for an upgrades for the other OS option.

Note: I was planning to buy a Sony PS3. But then Sony took away the Linux option. I'm not interested in this proprietary crap and poor treatment of own customers. Microsoft treats their Xbox owners and Apple their iPhone users in the same way. I'll stick with Linux computers, applications, games, phone and etc.

Silmarunya

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
They will get punished for this. I've got the good luck (in this case at least...) of living in Europe and the European Union does a good job at persecuting companies breaching its very strict customer protection law.
I'll be ready and waiting, with popcorn.

Status
Not open for further replies.