Sony Officially Launches Tablet S and Tablet P

Status
Not open for further replies.

adamboy64

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
Ah awesome. They have final names.

I'll be keeping an eye out for Tablet P - it looks really unique for a tablet.
I'm not sure if it's enough to make me want to buy a tablet though..

DjEaZy

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2008
... custom android and playstation... ok... real good made... finally a high grade android tablet... not jus a tablet with android... with no optimization,,, good job...

DSpider

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009
PSX is dead to me. At least add a PSP emulator! Hmph.

If their second generation "P" model (clamshell design) has a PS2 emulator it will be an instant success. I wonder why they didn't add it to PS Vita... Someone told me that may very well be because the PS2 (and its game library) still brings Sony some revenue.

cknobman

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
Expensive, thick, build quality in question with overuse of cheap plastic, different but questionable design, over a dozen other tablets on market with either better designs or cheaper prices.

Sony these suck and you fail.

ryu750

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
Has Sony R&D not just see what happened with HP? Very few people are in the market for expensive tablets. Most consumers are looking for a tablet that will go on the web and download apps for about $199 to $299. IMO that is the sweet spot that would steal shares from Apple. Just wait a few months these will be at Best Buy for $99 and $149 as well.

user_ace

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2011
Does anyone else see the hypocrisy here? First, Sony bans Linux on the PS3, then creates an Android tablet, which is UNIX-based.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
[citation][nom]user_ace[/nom]Does anyone else see the hypocrisy here? First, Sony bans Linux on the PS3, then creates an Android tablet, which is UNIX-based.[/citation]
no hypocracy here if thats concerned. Theres a difference between a ps3 and a tablet in case you havent noticed. Android is based on UNIX but its still not the linux os you couldve put on your ps3.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
An iconia tab A-500 (a is for android) is $300, the w-500(for windows) is $429. Asus transformer is $350, the Eee Tablet is $449.

These manufacturers must think consumers are stupid. Windows costs $100, Android is free. If the windows tablet is $100 less then the android tablet, then the android tablet is over priced by roughly $200. Acer and Asus are the only companies that haven't tried ripping the consumer off.

I can see the P tablet having a moderate price increase due to being unique, but the S tablet needs to be at least $100 lower for it to sell.

manthas

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2001
@dalethepcman I understand what you're going for here, and I completely agree that these tablets (along with all currently on the market) are overpriced, but your information is a tad off.

Acer Iconia A500 (16 GB): $400
Acer Iconia W500: $480 (at Amazon - best I found)
Asus EEE Transformer (16 GB): $400

If either the Acer or the Asus had managed to come in at the $300 price point, I would have given them a stronger consideration, but as is they too remain overpriced, especially with the severe lack of Android tablet applications, and the poor choices on Nvidia's part as far as the architecture of the Tegra 2 chipset, which are going to haunt these Sony tabs as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.