Sony Patents Universal Game Controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Maby i should patent underwear, especialy t-shirt and bikini and make sure no one could ever use them...

Gosh the patent system is so silly at times when you can patent ANYTHING and then patent troll it for years to come!

gamerfu

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010
Where is L1, L2, R1, R2? On top of the controller?

How will L3 and R3 analog sticks work?

Why didn't they patent the 6-button controller? That would of been useful.

theuerkorn

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2009
Not sure this will catch on. Is likely to look very cool, and it works on phones as most of the time it's the same screen as where your GUI is. For console games, however, I would think the tactile feedback is vital when playing games on a different screen without eyes on the controller.

RooD

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2004
ill pass for the price im sure i can just buy 1 of each controller... and hard buttons are king for games... you need to feel the buttons to know where they are... i have a feeling alot of people will lose their buttons lol

random_yggdrasil

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010
I just don't think a touch screen could allow for the pressure sensitivity both what the controller receives and what the user feels and force feed back?
I think the Touch screen controller will be a toy for gaming market much like the DS not a "controller" people will control their consoles and what not with.
Maybe prefect the original controller some more. I don' want to learn a new controller layout every new console I play let alone if game company'can make what every layout on a controller they like with a touchscreen.

G

The day the controller breaks due to pressure hints back to the days of the joystick breaking whilst hammering the orange button (atari).

kin3000

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
[citation][nom]milktea[/nom]... Maybe Sony is trying to go for the most patents competition.[/citation]

I'm pretty sure Microsoft is miles ahead of Sony in that competition.

anershay

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010
I don't see someone buying a device like this because the cost will be too much for something that performs less favorably than standard console controllers. However if they were to find a way to turn people's touchscreen phones into a universal touch controller, then I could see this being successful.

Status
Not open for further replies.