Sony Pops Out Pricey SACD Player

Status
Not open for further replies.

kittle

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2005
SACD is decidedly Not dead. I can still buy them at my local Frys and online at amazon.com and various other places when I look.

IMO the main reason for their "death" is first the EXPENSIVE players and that you need som Good speakers to really hear the difference, and Good speakers is something the average consumer doesnt have, again because they are so spendy.

hannibal

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2004
Well actually it's not a dead. There is steady stream of new SACD disks, but the flow is really slow... Mostly classical music from small companies.

WheelsOfConfusion

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008
@Nino: Markup problem with that last hyperlink.

@Hannibal: I like classical music. I hate DRM that won't let me make a back-up copy, though. The only albums I own which can't be copied easily are all on Sony's label, and that kind of puts a damper on my personal music library (I prefer to make a lossless copy of the CD and listen to the copy, leaving the original the case for safe keeping).

Also, after buying a minidisk player that quickly went obsolete and doesn't like my new operating system, I try to avoid Sony's proprietary formats for anything.

rallycars

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2008
i have 27 SACD titles and 16 DVD-A title that work on my Pioneer 5-disc changer home theater system. Most are great, but I haven't bought any in a few years. Most are geared to old folk, since they have the money for nice systems. I'm 26. I only have 1 that's hip-hop - Stankonia. That is my favorite genre. Neither SACD or DVD-A ever took off, even though I wanted them to.

jqk

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
I enjoy most of the SACDs I have. Great sound as long as the engineer putting it together knows what they are doing. I buy SACDs and DVD-A titles for one reason. It can sound amazing on a good sound system. I would recommend anyone take a listen to one. Be warned. You will suddenly feel you wasted good money on your precious iPod though.

G

You sir, are promulgating completely false information about SACD - along with many others! Do you call over 5000 releases out there DEAD???
SACD is a very viable format for classical and some jazz in Europe - just somewhat banned in the U.S. due to the big record companies bean-counters. We don't need and nobody wants Blu-ray audio-only discs!

Status
Not open for further replies.