Sony Preps ''Hack-Proof'' PlayStation 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
No such thing. The piracy numbers for the PS3 and Xbox 360 are pathetically low anyways. I don't know why Sony is so worried. It's just not anywhere nearly as easy on the consoles.

xophaser

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2007
look what the pirates did to the PC market, now the most of the game makers are spending time in the console. Some people think they only have to paid for hardware, well software wasn't created from thin air. Buy what you want to play.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
If they wanted to lock it down, they should have done so from the start. I think by removing the Other OS option they've just made it a bigger target, and it has been hacked repeatedly ever since.

Also I think their new unhackable PS3 is going to be a regular PS3 slim covered with tons of duct tape, with a permanently disabled wireless chip. That way you can't connect anything to it but controllers, and can't connect to a network.

maestintaolius

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
Yeah, label it as "hack-proof" ... that'll work. You might as well just ship it with a copy of linux, three 2 liters of mountain dew and two bags of doritos at that point.

Stryter

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2009
They are going to lose more money on R&D trying to create their "hack-proof" (yeah right) PS3 than they will lose on sales due to piracy. Not to mention that they will be adding those figures together after someone cracks it. Sony is shooting their self in the foot.

wild9

Distinguished
May 20, 2007
I should imagine that telling hackers something is "hack-proof" is akin to walking around in a yellow tee-shirt through a bee-hive..

And someguynamedmatt, you hate pirates? Look at the corporate fraud these days..look at the money the bankers took..look at the Federal Reserve system and the never-ending debt it creates. Not saying pirating games is right, just trying to put things in perspective and perhaps explain why some people choose to do it. If people want to get on their high horse about software piracy, corrupt morals and questionable business practices then really folks, look around you..

JamesSneed

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
This is why Sony did not comment. They are not dumb enough to say it is hack proof. If they did say it was hack proof then they would most likley attrack folks that attend DEFCOM, etc. In that case it would be hacked. Im all for this as consoles should be closed systems as long as they are still selling them at a loss and making money on games. If console makers cant make money then who the hell would make consoles? Not that I really care I game on the PC.

jimmysmitty

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007
[citation][nom]someguynamedmatt[/nom]Good. I hate pirates. Downrate that all you want, but you're still thieves...[/citation]

There is a difference between hacking to explore new possibilities and hacking to not pay. I don't condone piracy but I don't mind hacking. It allowed me to use my memory stick on my PSP instead of the slow, battery chugging UMD. I own the games I play but still its better that way.

As for "hack proof" hah. They have said that about a lot of things. Nothing is hack proof. Since all software is man made there will always be holes, bugs and loop holes to exploit.

restatement3dofted

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010
[citation][nom]tayb[/nom]No such thing. The piracy numbers for the PS3 and Xbox 360 are pathetically low anyways. I don't know why Sony is so worried. It's just not anywhere nearly as easy on the consoles.[/citation]

"Pathetically low"? According to what, the National Bureau of Making Stuff Up On the Spot? TorrentFreak reported at the end of 2010 that Dante's Inferno was downloaded 1.3M times; CoD: BlOps was downloaded 930,000 times for the 360 (5th most pirated game on TF). That's considerably less than the 4.7M times it was downloaded for PC, but those are numbers from just one site. Even though piracy is less prevalent on 360 and PS3, we're still talking millions upon millions of pirated games each year. It's low if you compare the numbers to piracy on PCs, which take significantly less effort to obtain and run, but to say that piracy on consoles is "pathetically low" without reservation is just inaccurate, by any standard.

iboomer

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2009
Hey Sony, you wanna bring a 'hack-proof' console to market? Go ahead, it will take less than 6 months for someone to post the hash codes again. Why don't you try fixing you lame issues with connectivity and other such nonsense, and give me my linux back you bastards.

dtrex

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011
@someguynamedmatt

How is it pirating? please explain to me why you think someone jailbreaking a PS3 that they paid for and legally own is pirating. Unless pirating means stealing from yourself, your argument is invaild. George didn't steal/pirate anything, he simply configured his own PS3 to play other games.

tl;dr someguynamedmatt cannot argue for he is ignorant

hunter315

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
There are only two kinds of totally secure systems.

1. An offline system
2. A powered off system

Everything else is fair game, and calling it hack proof is just sending up a flare and asking for people to hack it.

Status
Not open for further replies.