Sony: PS3 Slim Could Have Been Slimmer, But Nah

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honis

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
I'm glad they brought the slimmer version when they did. With the PS1 and PS2 they waited until it was virtually the next generation of consoles. Almost as if they wanted it be crushed by upcoming consoles physically (as well as performance).

Side comment: Only Final Fantasy 11 players missed the PS2s hard drive.

caqde

Distinguished
May 31, 2007
Well the PS2 users that back up their games also missed the PS2's Hard drive, I tend to store games that have excruciating long load times on my PS2's Hard drive, not to mention it saves wear and tear on the DVD drive. And having 1/3 the load time is very nice. (And yes I own the games).

JasonAkkerman

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2008
My understanding is that heat isn't as much of a problem on the slim.

I would have liked to have an external power supply so I could move that heat source to a different position. It gets so hot in the shelf area where my PS3 is that I had to cut a hole and mount a 120mm fan on the back of my entertainment powered by a 12V universal power supply connected to the switched outlet on my receiver. I couldn't find a 120mm 5V fan that was high enough CFM for my taste, that would allow me to use a USB connection.

I don't see what the big deal about not having an external power supply.

mman74

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
Separate PSU - no thanks. Flash HDD - only if it doesn't put up the price - besides if you want there are numerous guides out there that show you how to replace the HDD with a SSD if you think that is a worthwile investment of your money.
And whilst we are on the subject of heat, to all those people with the old fatboy PS3 like me, 2 tips.
1. Don't put the PS3 inside your media unit. I know you might want to hide it away but just think of it as being more accessible. Actually I park mine right next to the TV.
2. Stand it upright. Most of the heat actually dissipates from the right side vent. If you park it upright, so that the heat is discharged upwards you will hardly ever hear the noisy fan kick in.

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
not to sound like a fanboy, but I agree with everything they say.

and when you consider the amount of space taken up by a games console, dvd and bluray player, media streamer and TV recorder, suddenly it doesn't seem so bulky.

the size of the original doesn't bother me.
the slim was all about features and noise for me.

one thing that would have been cool to add would have been an aerial port, then have play tv and radio built in. but that might have to be another SKU.

one completely inexcusable omission is the lack of IR receiver. especially with the nod to it as a home theater device by adding HDMI bitstreaming.

I understand the benefit of non line of sight communication Bluetooth offers, but it's connection based methodology makes it unsuitable as a remote, because it has to use power to maintain connection even when buttons aren't being pressed, disconnecting and connecting take time.

beachape

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
I was going to make a constructive comment and then I got:
THREE POPUPS JUST FOR THIS PAGE ALONE!
Those annoying in screen popups where they always move the X(Close) box to a different corner so it takes you a second to close it.
If this keeps up I'm not going to look at this site anymore.

hakesterman

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2008
The power supply has nothing to do with Heat. The Xbox360 has a power Brick and the inside of the Xbox gets super Hot so i don't believe for a minute that adding a power brick to the PS3 would have reduced any heat from inside the PS3 console.

Manos

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
"Yay for HDD and lack of an external power brick!"

At least out of professionalism you shouldnt be sparking the fanboysm. If you have any. Glad you like your PS3.

JasonAkkerman

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2008
@hakesterman

A power brick is nothing more then a transformer. Transformers are not 100% efficient, and the lost energy has to go somewhere. In this case it is mostly dissipated as heat. Any length of wire has some resistance (with the exception of super conductive material, which power bricks are not made out of). There is a lot of coiled wire in a transformer, which makes a fair amount of resistance. This resistance is what causes the wires to get warm. It's the same principle that makes the IC chips get hot.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
An internal PSU for the Xbox 360 would have been nice... the thing is so damned big, and makes using it beside my computer (hooked up to my monitor) a nuisance, due to a lack of space to hide the big thing.

These days I've been getting more and more tempted to get a PS3 however.

jamesedgeuk2000

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2009
A "Power Brick" would have been a good idea..

It would have reduced the heat in the ps3 and mad eit live longer, but thn sony wouldnt have been able to sell us another when it dies ^^

G

Well im in Asia Pakistan n here it only 220v n ibought it about 6months ago n mine is working just fine till now.. n hope i works same in future.. i perfer the normal PS3 more then the Slim PS3..
Visit my blog n check out the latest technlogy of japan n post comments n bocome a follower.. Thanks
My Blog: Http://latestjapan.blogspot.com

invlem

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
It could have been smaller? Has anyone put their hand behind their PS3 slim after its been running for 30 minutes?

I shudder at the thought of putting that hardware into a smaller enclosure, it can already produces a crazy amount of heat.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]anamaniac[/nom]An internal PSU for the Xbox 360
would have been nice... the thing is so damned big, and makes using it beside my computer (hooked up to my monitor) a nuisance, due to a lack of space to hide the big thing.These days I've been getting more and more tempted to get a PS3 however.[/citation]

oh god no can you imagine the RRoD rate on the 360'sm had they had a internal PSU LOL no thank you .. i perfer having the "hotter" components on teh outside of my system. same reason i own a comp case that has a botom mounted PSU , it keeps teh PSU heat seperated from system heat so teh system stays cooler and so does the PSU

G

The headline for this article is rather misleading. It hints that Sony was in the wrong in the headline then pleads their case in the story.
What's the purpose of that? To get fanboys and haters to read the same article?

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
If my refrigerator and the convenient store were linked the way my console and my PC is, I could stream beer directly from the kitchen. So it's either a bad comparison from Sony or a genius glimpse at the future.

yodoso

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
internal PS's are BS, it was a decision drive by $$ just like almost everything. When your playstation is out of warranty and the PS goes out, instead of picking up a new one from your local store.........you'll have to send in your playstation to sony a a much larger expense.

Status
Not open for further replies.