Sony: PSN Outage Could Go On Through Saturday

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

No worries, Sony. I'm still a loyal PS3 user. I'll be here when you get back :)

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
They are probably analyzing the attack by Anom, and building a patch before they put the servers back on the line....

Only problem is, its damn hard to protect against a massive DoS attack....

Good luck, not.... im still po'd at sony for taking away "Other OS" off of the ps3...

G

I suggest you make use of your PS3 copy of Portal 2 to play CO-OP on PC instead!

fyasko

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2010
[citation][nom]mediumsteve83[/nom]i meant it sucks to be a sony owner right now. but i cant complain because Microsoft isn't doing anything to be better at the 360.[/citation]

exactly, the XBL is a rip off (you'd think M$ would throw in something cool/free)and PSN is what it is, i built a PC and gave M$ another 150$ for an OS...but at least i don't have to fork over 60$ every 12 months plus steam is 1080p and free...for now.

theo4654

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2006
Ok ppl here is the bottom line to this! PS3 users have the right to complain about what is happening right now due to this so called attack!
As a computer techy for the last 20 yrs. there is no reason not to protect your assets from attack..I see it everyday when I'm building or repairing computers. Sony is turning out to be another Microsoft! They claim there product is great, but can't handle the problems they create for themselves when they don't have a clue how to protect thier own hardware!
I can see why these kids are angry, everyone kno's that Dev's make thier games now with DLC's, and not the old fashioned expansion packs of old! You have to be online to use these DLC's even when your offline single player! So I have a great concern that Sony is becoming another Microsoft, meaning which that they care about thier bottom line only, and that's $$$$$ not the true example of fine craftsmanship in hardware or software!!! And I don't need to hear that ohh it's free online use! It does not matter, you have a product to market, always make sure you have all the bases covered, before you sell that hardware...That's where now Sony and Microsoft do not care about quality control...it's only who can beat who to the market place first!

kashifme21

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2009
Lol retarded closed platforms and their limitations. Next up people wont be able to play their games on the next box, then will be forced to buy HD lol makes.

G

@ theo: you sound so damned sure of yourself, then off the top of your head how many companies decide to make it protocol to ensure against massive DoS attacks.

@ Kashifme: yea I have a gaming tower too. But AMD hit it closer to the mark that unless people are willing to actually cough up cash & not pirate sh*t, what interest does a dev have in making higher end games beyond a consoles limitation?

@ all the po'd a@@hates: if you ever knew anyone who owned a Nintendo product that was homebrew'd chances are it was done to pirate games. So don't give the "oh FU sony" for this sh*t. I mean sh*t if I made an app and it was being pirated like a cheap whore, yea I'd be peeved. Fact is its still theft. You don't have to agree with the pricing of the game or justify your actions, it is what it is and why sugar coat it. If I torrent sh*t and a song write sent me a pissed of letter, hey I'd respect that. But the fact you have fringe or mainstream Anon's going around making this a "holy crusade" of some sort is idiotic. Hey guess what Apple is another big, evil corporation too, they were before but are now. So based on example we just attack and destroy sh*t we don't agree with? Sounds like a bully I know to be honest...

spectrewind

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
[citation][nom]theo4654[/nom]Ok ppl here is the bottom line to this! PS3 users have the right to complain about what is happening right now due to this so called attack!As a computer techy for the last 20 yrs. there is no reason not to protect your assets from attack..I see it everyday when I'm building or repairing computers. Sony is turning out to be another Microsoft! They claim there product is great, but can't handle the problems they create for themselves when they don't have a clue how to protect thier own hardware!I can see why these kids are angry, everyone kno's that Dev's make thier games now with DLC's, and not the old fashioned expansion packs of old! You have to be online to use these DLC's even when your offline single player! So I have a great concern that Sony is becoming another Microsoft, meaning which that they care about thier bottom line only, and that's $$$$$ not the true example of fine craftsmanship in hardware or software!!! And I don't need to hear that ohh it's free online use! It does not matter, you have a product to market, always make sure you have all the bases covered, before you sell that hardware...That's where now Sony and Microsoft do not care about quality control...it's only who can beat who to the market place first![/citation]

I had similar thoughts. And am also someone who has been in the tech industry for nearly 20 years. New/backup IPs. Changing DNS (if the attack is DNS-based). Round-robin DNS (spread the attack over several machines). Firewall exemptions at the service provider to discard packets from a block of IP addresses (blacklist/blackhole routing).

These are examples of ways to combat DDoS, assuming this is what is happening. The technology exists to "mitigate" the problem. Not eliminate, not prevent, but mitigate. The barrier is cost, not time. Sony has had plenty of time.

Testing: Has Sony tested their PSN infrastructure in a sandbox environment to see what the effects of a DDoS would be?

damian86

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
Stop blaming Anonymous and others, it seems to be a technical issue after implementing new games services or whatever is was,I think if this was the act from them, they would let them know with one of their funny mesages.

damian86

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]mediumsteve83[/nom]i meant it sucks to be a sony owner right now. but i cant complain because Microsoft isn't doing anything to be better at the 360.[/citation]

I know, MS sucks too because you cant play online when you have internet at home, you need to pay an extra service,which I think it's a rip off,online play should be free like it always been.

PLEASE make it free!

jalek

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007
Thank god it's not Blizzard. Even Anonymous has a raid schedule to keep up with.

Blah, blah, piracy. Name one thing pirated. It didn't happen, but what did is I, and many others, have an inaccessible partition on our PS/3 because Sony disabled it. They didn't expect a response from the same people who hacked the XBox and Wii to get Linux to run on them? They hadn't had anyone doing it prior because it already worked just as it was marketed.

This outage is suspiciously on the same schedule as Amazon's outage and just after the PSN/Steam interconnection happened. Sony was also threatening to sue Amazon over their cloud drive, Amazon seems to think Sony can't charge licensing fees for people to access music they've already purchased. They don't know Sony.

servarus

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2010
[citation][nom]spectrewind[/nomTesting: Has Sony tested their PSN infrastructure in a sandbox environment to see what the effects of a DDoS would be?[/citation]
I personally think that they have done such thing, although, what is happening is not what they expected. Who knows? You can expect something but the outcome is usually different. Look at Firefox who had a slight downtime when they are released.

[citation][nom]delsr[/nom]@ theo: you sound so damned sure of yourself, then off the top of your head how many companies decide to make it protocol to ensure against massive DoS attacks.@ Kashifme: yea I have a gaming tower too. But AMD hit it closer to the mark that unless people are willing to actually cough up cash & not pirate sh*t, what interest does a dev have in making higher end games beyond a consoles limitation? @ all the po'd a@@hates: if you ever knew anyone who owned a Nintendo product that was homebrew'd chances are it was done to pirate games. So don't give the "oh FU sony" for this sh*t. I mean sh*t if I made an app and it was being pirated like a cheap whore, yea I'd be peeved. Fact is its still theft. You don't have to agree with the pricing of the game or justify your actions, it is what it is and why sugar coat it. If I torrent sh*t and a song write sent me a pissed of letter, hey I'd respect that. But the fact you have fringe or mainstream Anon's going around making this a "holy crusade" of some sort is idiotic. Hey guess what Apple is another big, evil corporation too, they were before but are now. So based on example we just attack and destroy sh*t we don't agree with? Sounds like a bully I know to be honest...[/citation]
Couldn't have said better.

Status
Not open for further replies.