Sony: PSPgo Was Planned All Along

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Blood_Raven

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
The problem with the PSP has always been that it tried to do so many things and wasn't particularly good at any of them. The sound quality was terrible for music, the videos had to be one very particular format so they weren't easy to use, and the memory space was never there. Lets not mention the bad battery life at the beginning of the PSP's career, though that has been fixed somewhat with more efficient firmware releases.

To be successful the PSP GO needs to boast much improved sound quality and internal amp power with a lot of memory (SDHC card port would do it), and needs flash lite to make the web browser useful.

magicandy

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2008
Make with the official homebrew support, then we'll talk. Come on, every other current digital distribution, net-connected device features this in some way. Let people make their own software for it and give them a way to distribute it without having to hack the PSP. The homebrew scene is half the reason you own a PSP anyway, Sony might as well take the hint and make it official to increase sales.

Hatecrime69

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2008
[citation][nom]The_Blood_Raven[/nom]To be successful the PSP GO needs to boast much improved sound quality and internal amp power with a lot of memory (SDHC card port would do it), and needs flash lite to make the web browser useful.[/citation]

a sony device with an sdhc slot, now that's funny!

If they planned this from the beginning they could have used a small hard drive instead of flash memory and avoided that whole mess that was umd :p

horendus

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2007
Of course they knew the PSP would one day be pure digital distribution, hell, when i got my PSP 1000 I knew it was only a matter of time.

No one is copying anyone with this idea, its not new, its just the natural evolution. Besides, we cant keep wasting earths resources making CD's and what not.

Digital contents is just the next logical step.

What we do need is a new retail shopping model though. I work a part time hoby job in a small games store, and full digital distribution will potentially see an end to these stores.

Id suggest digital distribution retail model be formed, allowing customer to take display cases to the counter, which they can then have the game uploaded to their large storage medium .

We need a way ro physically shop, for pure digital content!

horendus

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2007
Of course they knew the PSP would one day be pure digital distribution, hell, when i got my PSP 1000 I knew it was only a matter of time.

No one is copying anyone with this idea, its not new, its just the natural evolution. Besides, we cant keep wasting earths resources making CD's and what not.

Digital contents is just the next logical step.

I luv the fact my ipod 3Gs is pure digital content

What we do need is a new retail shopping model though. I work a part time hoby job in a small games store, and full digital distribution will potentially see an end to these stores.

Id suggest digital distribution retail model be formed, allowing customer to take display cases to the counter, which they can then have the game uploaded to their large storage medium .

We need a way ro physically shop, for pure digital content!

G

don't usually care about spelling and grammar on Tom's but -
"With that said, the Nintendo DSi serves as Sony's biggest handheld contender,"
The Nintendo DSi serves as Ninetendo's biggest handheld contender, it's Sony's biggest handheld competitor.

rodney_ws

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
Nintendo gets it. Sony doesn't. How can Sony possibly succeed with their new platform without backward support for UMD? How do you keep people in the Sony camp when you won't even let them play their existing games on a new Sony console? I'm not going to sit here and cry about the lack of a GBA slot on the new DS, but a PSP without UMD? That's just silly.

eccentric909

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2006
[citation][nom]rodney_ws[/nom]Nintendo gets it. Sony doesn't. How can Sony possibly succeed with their new platform without backward support for UMD? How do you keep people in the Sony camp when you won't even let them play their existing games on a new Sony console? I'm not going to sit here and cry about the lack of a GBA slot on the new DS, but a PSP without UMD? That's just silly.[/citation]

They do plan on letting you download/transfer your current UMD library.

Sony to Offer New Digital Copies of Your Old UMD Games

I doubt all games will be available at first, but I bet a great majority of them will. They've also made it so the games are actually smaller in size (MB-wise) while still retaining all of the original content (though I read this somewhere else, not in my linked story).

biometricsguy

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2008
What about when I'm done playing my games and want to sell them? Or if I want to buy used games for cheap? It seems to me that pure digital won't accommodate this. Frankly, while I was never a fan of UMD specifically, I think digital is far worse. This is simply a move for sony to maximize it's profit at the expense of the consumer. Personally, If UMD dies off completely I'll ditch my PSP once and for all.

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
I still think portable UMD was a nifty idea. Nintendo always sticks to their tiny cartridges. These days one could assume they could use flash memory if it is cheaper and make very large games if they wanted to. I believe Nokia Ngage games were all stored on flash memory.

Status
Not open for further replies.