Sony Puts Brakes on Streaming Over Bandwidth Neutrality

Status
Not open for further replies.

wardoc22

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2011
Lol,

"So the fcc won't let me be, or let me be me so let me see. They try to shut me down on mtv but it feels so empty without me."

Haha. I saw the word fcc while skiming the article and then thought of the lyrics in this one song

tonync_01

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012
I hope the FCC puts a stops to this stuff. Comcast will do whatever they can to try and get around net neutrality regulations.

shawn808

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2009
FCC wont do JACK.

The FCC is in the pocket of all these Corporations.

Net neutrality lol.

Seems like whatever bill comes down the pipe from these talking heads is just double speak for your gonna get screwed.

Sony even knows whats coming down..

So lube it up guys

neon neophyte

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2009
im not really seeing the issue here.

you buy your internet with a monthly cap, the company you buy it from offers a service that doesnt eat into that cap. thats a luxury, they dont have to do that.

tonync_01

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012
[citation][nom]neon neophyte[/nom]im not really seeing the issue here.you buy your internet with a monthly cap, the company you buy it from offers a service that doesnt eat into that cap. thats a luxury, they dont have to do that.[/citation]

The issue is that by giving traffic related to Comcast's cable tv services preferential treatment, it gives an unfair competitive advantage to comcast in the streaming video market. So, Comcast is basically using their advantage as a broadband monopoly to gain an advantage in the market for streaming video.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
The FCC legally can do jack and shit about this. They manage over the air radio communication only. They have no say in how a wired service operates. This should have nothing to do with the FCC and everything to do with unfair business practices.

10tacle

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2008
The FCC is reportedly looking into the situation, but Comcast may not have a case thanks to unfair competition regulations.

Sounds like a job for the FTC along with the FCC. And we know how the FTC and FCC told AT&T to stick it with regards to the T-Mobile merger. So not all government entities are in the pockets of corporations all the time.

livebriand

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
Fuck you Comcast. I cancelled my cable several years ago, and if there were a decent competitor around here (768kbps dsl is crap compared to the 15mbps comcast connection I have, get with the times ATT!), I would get internet from someone else too.

G

I so miss Comcast oh wait I do not. I love my Cox cable for the same price as Comcast I can get faster. (as in you pay for x amount but comcast does not give this to you. as for cox I get what I payed for.)

bison88

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
According to Comcast, the company can bypass the net neutrality rules because the content is piped through its own private IP network, and not over the public part of the Internet.

Wow what a bunch of bullshit. Does Comcast really take everyone for complete idiots? You really think Microsoft puts something on the X-Box through their X-Box Live service and allows a third-party direct access to the consumer without going through them, that's what their "own private IP" would essentially be. That would be a first for Microsoft as they run XBL with an iron fist the similar to Valve with Steam on the PC. There is no open door that allows consumers to access outside what Microsoft offers without Microsoft being the direct middle man, hence the bandwidth would still be going out via an independent companies network (Microsoft) before being connected to Comcast's network.

Essentially Reed Hastings is right. Comcast is full of shit calling glitter fairy dust.

I still have yet to hear a answer to how Cable Internet 10 years ago was offered at roughly 1.5-3Mbps and able to have an unlimited policy (which many including myself took advantage of) back when High Speed Internet was exploding and DOCSIS 1.1 was the standard. Long before neighborhoods got split and DOCSIS 3.0 offered practically limitless potential in the near future. If you do the math, which isn't rocket science, you will see 250GB is the equivalent to a consistent 768Kbps connection if you never want to go over that limit. On the other hand a 1.5Mbps connection that had no limits 10 years ago, was capable of 480GB a month when networks were just as strained if not more due to the fact they were far more mis-managed and incapable

Just say it publicly. You hate consistent profit with little to no growth as more and more households get broadband leaving the market expansion less profitable. You want to show your investors you can still bring in big profits the same way Wireless companies charge $.20 per text or a $20 a month plan by charging people for data use on a per gigabyte basis.

kyuuketsuki

Distinguished
May 17, 2011
[citation][nom]frozonic[/nom]hmmm hello! its their own fu**ing network, they can do whatever they want to with it, if they dont want to count the data used by their clients Xbox 360s they dont, what are you motherfu**ers going to do?[/citation]
You're wrong. Read up on net neutrality.

Besides, why on earth would anyone stand with Comcast on this issue? You really want broadband providers to be able to play favorites with their own content, essentially locking you to your ISP for all content unless you want to pay out the nose to access competing services through your own damn Internet connection that you shell out for every month? Unbelievable how some people seem to WANT to get shafted corporations.

G

It is important to stop any attempts against net neutrality. Otherwise you end up with lots of walled gardens for each ISP. "You can stream series A, B and C for free via our own streaming service. Oh, you want series D which is only available from our competitor? That'll be $10 per hour then, ty. Oh, and by the way, we also introduced our new "no bandwidth usage" proxy. We offer only the finest websites via this new service. By the way, if you want to visit any other websites, that'll be $10 per 500MB traffic."

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Gotta love the US dataplans where its treated like its a expencive commodity not a service, got a true unlimited dataplan with 100mbit both up and downstreams. No caps or throttling for 150 sek / month (about 24$ month) here in Sweden. Feel sorry for thoose who signed up for"unlimited" plans just to find out it was not!

nukemaster

Distinguished
How is this any different then when cell phone companies made calls within their networks free?

I highly doubt that ALL shows streamed to 360 pass over Microsoft's networks first. Authentication and such, sure. All steaming is highly doubtful.

G

No doubt a lot of cable companies have thought that such practice is justificable and a mean for them to easily have an edge over their competitors, and they won't just stop at streaming video. Cloud storage, game portal, social networking, they can launch any online service and easily have an edge over competitors. Allowing cable companies to control both the bandwidth and offering online services are a prime example of conflict of interest.

Cable companies cannot have it all. Either they are allowed to limit bandwidth and NOT to offer any online services, or offer unlimited bandwidth so that everyone can compete on even ground.

Skippy27

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2009
[citation][nom]bison88[/nom]You really think Microsoft puts something on the X-Box through their X-Box Live service and allows a third-party direct access to the consumer without going through them, that's what their "own private IP" would essentially be. Blah blah blah...., hence the bandwidth would still be going out via an independent companies network (Microsoft) before being connected to Comcast's network.Essentially Reed Hastings is right. [/citation]

Though I agree what Comcast says is total BS, you obviously have no clue what you are talking about. If you really think that ALL traffic that goes from or to your xBox passes through MS's network at some point, you are sadly mistaken. xBox Live validates you and your system sends and receives updates to/from MS, however the "general" traffic itself goes the most direct route at all times.

Regardless of all that. Comcast counts all other traffic (p2p, games, etc) that stays on their network and never enters the "internet" against its consumers, this traffic should not be treated any differently.

bison88

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
[citation][nom]Skippy27[/nom]Though I agree what Comcast says is total BS, you obviously have no clue what you are talking about. If you really think that ALL traffic that goes from or to your xBox passes through MS's network at some point, you are sadly mistaken. xBox Live validates you and your system sends and receives updates to/from MS, however the "general" traffic itself goes the most direct route at all times.[/citation]

I stand corrected, thank you. In my haste I meant to imply most XBL content is trafficked through Microsoft's servers because of their current CDN like infrastructure. However, with services like Netflix and Hulu that's not entirely necessary or needed since they already have a solid one in place. I sometimes go red whenever the subject like Comcast, bandwidth caps, and net neutrality comes up. Just so sick of of all the shenanigans at this point that I come out incoherent.

TeraMedia

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
It's too bad that Netflix can't find a clever way to shove this back down Comcast's throat.
Step 1: find a way to have their own content also be served strictly by Comcast's "private" network.
Step 2: prove that the served content that Comcast customers are being charged for never went outside of Comcast's IP domain.
Step 3: sue the crap out of Comcast for anti-competitive behavior, and get the FTC to break them up into separate ISP and content divisions.

Status
Not open for further replies.