Sony Responds to PSP Gamers With UMD Games

Status
Not open for further replies.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
A whole whopping 39 games? Someone on the other thread corrected my (joking) assumption about possibly dozens of PSP games with the fact that there were over 500, but apparently Sony thinks people only want to play 39 of them? Copying them to a memory stick will be nice, but as long as the number of times that can happen isn't limited. I mean, we're assuming people will want to bring most of their library over to the new PSP, and a 16GB memory stick isn't going to hold all those games at once.

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
"We're in the midst of putting together a good will program" (John Koller). Why would a guy from Sony be putting together a will program (good or not) at all? Isn't that kind of work for lawyers? May he said 'goodwill'? What kind of dolt transcribed the quote?

radium69

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2007
That does it... Seriously, for this time in my life, i've bought over 30PSP games. And now this crap? Only one of the titels are in my collection. This sucks. Making it homebrew is the better way anyway...

Ethereal_Dragon

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2003
PSST, if you can have a digital copy on memory, you can transfer it to computer, and higher capacity USB drives for storage. No one needs to have more than 16 games on them at all times... If that's the case, they should look into another hobby, or get a job.

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
I was under the impression they are removing UMD because of massive piracy… In my mind digital distribution will be incredibly easy to pirate.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
Oh boy a smaller screen! Where do I sign up?? I'm really looking forward to the next PSP after this, the PSPWristWatch. With a 1.5" screen, it'll make everything look REALLY SHARP!

mortalmalkavian

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2009
I'm not interested. The original PSP had structural problems, and now they're making a thinner one? Worse, the article leads me to believe games can ONLY be bought via digital transfer. And I'm not interested in a PS3, not to mention buying a PS3 just so I can play my original PSP games on the new version of the PSP. Will Sony allow re-download of games I bought through the digital transfer, or will they take the same position they take with games you buy as downloads for the PS3?

Sony needs to pull their heads out from their nether-regions.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
[citation][nom]tipoo[/nom]I still want to know the things internal specs.[/citation]

Same.
I want to know sorage, RAM, CPU frequency, RAM/cpu data path width (bits), and GPU stats.
I want EVERYTHING!

[citation][nom]grieve[/nom]I was under the impression they are removing UMD because of massive piracy… In my mind digital distribution will be incredibly easy to pirate.[/citation]

One of the original reasons I wanted a PSP/NDS was because on how easy it is to rip games...

"Would you steal a handbag, a TV, a car?"
"Yes, yes I would."

Honis

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
[citation][nom]mortalmalkavian[/nom]I'm not interested. The original PSP had structural problems, and now they're making a thinner one? Worse, the article leads me to believe games can ONLY be bought via digital transfer. And I'm not interested in a PS3, not to mention buying a PS3 just so I can play my original PSP games on the new version of the PSP. Will Sony allow re-download of games I bought through the digital transfer, or will they take the same position they take with games you buy as downloads for the PS3?Sony needs to pull their heads out from their nether-regions.[/citation]

Didn't they fix the physical problems with the 2000 and continued in the 3000? If I recall they also added the ability to buy and download games to the PSP without the need for a ps3 or announced it at least at E3. Also, they said the UMDs will be released at the same time they are released on PSN. The real question with this news is: Will future games be added into this feature so you can have a PSP 3k and a Go with an equal library?

Keeping a digital DL isn't hard with the psp, harder for the PS3 since you can't transfer games easily. I wouldn't mind trading in my stack of UMDs for a portable hard drive (for backup) and a much smaller stack of memory sticks.

The price of the Go is what doesn't make sense to me. $250 for fewer features, functionality, and bigger initial hassle to current psp owner? I'm staying with my 2000 until the go takes a major price drop, maybe $150.

pochacco007

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2008
will it be superior to the itouch or iphone?

during e3, kaz hirai says that the psp is a multimedia device. the ds is not a multimedia device but the itouch and the iphone is. so is the psp superior to the itouch and iphone?

vectorm12

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2009
Hopefully they will have come to their senses and added all current UMD titles to the list. I sure want to update from my current 2:nd gen PSP but there is no way I'm gonna accept not being able to play all my current games in the machine. And what in gods name ever happend to Gran Tourismo Mobile? They release a trailer on PSN where it's supposed to go in the PSPgo but no releasedate?! I mean come on, I litterally bought my original PSP for that eggtimer looking UMD disc supposedly containing GT mobile

silverfrog

Distinguished
May 16, 2006
Re: pochacco007

I know your question was rhetorical, but I'll take your challenge.

The answer is yes--yes, the PSP is better than the Iphone & Itouch. For one, there are games on it that you can play on PSP for longer than 5 minutes without getting bored. Next, the PSP does not require itunes. The screen is not a touch screen--good for those who hate fingerprints and fast keystroke inputs...ah, buttons!

Lastly, the PSP costs less.

G

THIS SUCKS WAT IF YOU DONT LIKE TO OWN CREDIT CARDS, NOT TO MENTION THEY DONT SELL PS NETWORK POINTS IN CANADA. FAIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.