Sony Responds to Yellow Light of Death Fix

Status
Not open for further replies.

bogcotton

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
I watched the show, all the while thinking "Wtf? They are damaging Sony's reputation due to a 0.5 percent product failure on old consoles where the xbox has a failure rate of 30 to 120 times as much."
Now a whole load of people wont buy even the new consoles after watching that show thinking, "Sony make bad quality machines and charge you to fix them".
Really irritating show.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
Sony should just expand their warranty to cover the issue. Its only a 0.5% failure rate. It would repair their reputation, increase sales, while only costing the replacment of 0.5% of consoles.

dxiii

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2009
I've never even heard of the YLoD. My console was one of the first issued, and I've never had a problem with it. Now my XBOX on the other hand has scratched my discs on several occasions. Bastard XBOX...

nukemaster

Distinguished
[citation][nom]falchard[/nom]Sony should just expand their warranty to cover the issue. Its only a 0.5% failure rate. It would repair their reputation, increase sales, while only costing the replacment of 0.5% of consoles.[/citation]
+1

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
where are you guys pulling this figure out off , yoru anus ? seriously one web site quotes that 360 failrate is at 54% ( but this is only ammoung THEIR site visitors that did their dumb poll) and you act like thi9er word is holy law , and apply that rate to ALL the coutry of 360's , yet soem one mentions sony's might have a problem you pull this ghosted ass .5%n figure out of teh thin air , where the fuck are your fact you bunch of fanboys ???

chirst , i'm not a fan boy i just hate seening blantant fanboyism thrown around, i knwo jsut amny fols have a ps3 die on them as a 360 and even sony said they removed the backward ps2 chips fromteh ps3 becaseu of heating issues. i knwo oen person that had a 360 croak on tehm and i know one person that had a ps3 croak on them. also has it occured to you peoepla re doging teh ps3 becasue of it's price , ??? sure the 360 may croak otu , but at elast you avhe a warrenty for 3 eyars taht covers such a issue , plus the cosnole is the cheapest on market right now , while the ps3 is teh most expensive .. jsut sayign for ever argument you pose teh other side has decent arguments as well

so pelae stopt eh fanboyism ..

MrF430

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2009
I have a launch 360 with never any issues at all, I also have an 80GB PS3 that has no issues EXCEPT for the current issue of losing sync with all controllers!!! It drives me crazy! It just drops sync with every controller! I have to constantly have the controller hooked up to the system! Plus its out of warranty... Anyone know of a fix???

G

sony has been know to have solder problems in their products way back before Trinitron TVs. And it was bad back then.

False_Dmitry_II

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2009
The fact is that it does happen. They seem to be trying to pull an Apple and say that it doesn't in general, then go ahead and make people pay for what is a manufacturers defect. This is the entire point of a warranty.

Even if the RRoD happened more, Microsoft acknowledged it as a problem and extended the warranty to compensate since it was their fault to begin with. And in fact it cost them much more to do it right than it would for Sony.

d_kuhn

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2002
I DID have my PS3 fail, and it was just out of warranty (cost $150 to fix), but it wasn't the (yellow light of death)... it was the "Red Blink of death" and had something to do with the Blu-Ray player.

So yes... PS3's do occasionally fail, but in the same time period I've had my 360 replaced twice (though free both times), and until Netflix came to the 360 our PS3 saw about 3x more usage.

yang

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
If the failure rate of this problem is only 0.5%, why is it even published on toms hardware? Please stop posting useless articles

G

@ demonhorde665
Where the heck did you learn how to spell? Seriously your spelling is horrible! Why don't you learn how to post readable text and then come back.

SinisterMessiah

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2007
Never heard of this obscure problem with PS3's either. Sounds like some 360 fanboys are upset the PS3 slim is going to OM NOM NOM its way into a bigger share of the market this holiday season.

G

They're owned by Mopar, right? I had that problem with my 90's era Neon.

jimmysmitty

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007
[citation][nom]bogcotton[/nom]I watched the show, all the while thinking "Wtf? They are damaging Sony's reputation due to a 0.5 percent product failure on old consoles where the xbox has a failure rate of 30 to 120 times as much."Now a whole load of people wont buy even the new consoles after watching that show thinking, "Sony make bad quality machines and charge you to fix them".Really irritating show.[/citation]

Not sure its that as much as its the fact that Sony is not willing to take a dive for such a little cost yet MS took a dive for a giant cost even if the people didn't have a RRoD they still got the extended warranty on it.

And a one year warranty on a consumer electronic device is pretty shady to me. I think 3 years should be the minimum especially since consoles are around 5+ years.

bogcotton

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
[citation][nom]demonhorde665[/nom]you pull this ghosted ass .5%n figure out of teh thin air[/citation]
Can you not calculate percentages?
Says it in the article, "12,500 of the 2.5 million consoles".

G

In most manufacturing processes companies try to have failure rate below 2%. In this case a 0.5% is stellar. Don't know why it would warrant a investigative story.

Status
Not open for further replies.