Sony Says Fake PS3 Controllers Could Explode

Status
Not open for further replies.

liveonc

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2008
More exposure, fear, & reasons! $ loss in earnings = $ spent in hype & no-no's. They're dangerous, built by slaves, allergenic materials used, non bio-degradable, can't be recycled, fund terrorism, & is owned by Osama. ;-)

restatement3dofted

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010
"It is possible that some counterfeit product may ignite or explode, resulting in injury or damage to the user, your PlayStation 3 computer entertainment system, or other property."

I'd love to know what prompted them to suggest that knock-off controllers are subject to a risk of spontaneous combustion (and why PS3 knock-off controllers, in particular, pose that risk).

liveonc

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2008
[citation][nom]Restatement3dofTed[/nom]"It is possible that some counterfeit product may ignite or explode, resulting in injury or damage to the user, your PlayStation 3 computer entertainment system, or other property."I'd love to know what prompted them to suggest that knock-off controllers are subject to a risk of spontaneous combustion (and why PS3 knock-off controllers, in particular, pose that risk).[/citation]

If it wasn't indirect general hype, don't you think they'd be more specific in details on exactly which rip-off controller it was, more than just saying rip off PS3 controller? Someone must know which component causes this spontaneous combustion & why, also where it comes from or at least where the defective component(s) come from?

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
its the battery, actually.

it probably wont blow during use, because the ps3 controllers aren't battery intensive. its during charge.

look up Lithium Polymer, they are very cheap, and hold a hell of a charge, but that comes with a risk.

G

can you people read? The article says "knock-offs","copies". the things are all over ebay. They are exact copies, even the packaging. There is no way to know which ones they are. I personally emailed Sony several times about the controllers on ebay ( they could easily have them all removed ) Sony acted like they weren't aware of them. I guess one had to explode before they claimed they weren't their controllers.

azgard

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2002
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]its the battery, actually. it probably wont blow during use, because the ps3 controllers aren't battery intensive. its during charge. look up Lithium Polymer, they are very cheap, and hold a hell of a charge, but that comes with a risk.[/citation]

To add to this, the controller for the battery charger is located within the controller, not on the PS3. So if these things have lackluster or no overcharging built in, have fun.

badaxe2

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2008
[citation][nom]Restatement3dofTed[/nom]"It is possible that some counterfeit product may ignite or explode, resulting in injury or damage to the user, your PlayStation 3 computer entertainment system, or other property."I'd love to know what prompted them to suggest that knock-off controllers are subject to a risk of spontaneous combustion (and why PS3 knock-off controllers, in particular, pose that risk).[/citation]

Didn't some original Xbox's spontaneously combust because of a faulty power cord? It's possible for a controller to do it depending on what's inside.

Avro Arrow

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2009
I think that the key phrase in this press release is:

"The PlayStation manufacturer goes on to say that because Sony is not obligated to ensure support for such devices, so they could stop working or be rendered useless with a firmware update."

THAT is the message that Sony wanted to really convey and they used the exploding controllers as a smokescreen to make them look all concerned when their primary concern is to threaten people. Sony can bite my ass, their PS3 is an absolute failure compared to the Xbox 360. (And I can't stand Microsoft) Namco had read the writing on the walls when it jumped ship from playstation to xbox with its incredible Ace Combat series.

reprotected

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
Sony: Fake Playstation Move can explode and fake EyeToys can give you cancer.

Microsoft: Fake Kinect will give you cancer and fake Xbox 360 controllers can give you the Red Ring/Dot of Death.

Nintendo: Fake Wii Remote is fake. Pirated discs are pirated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS