Sony Says No PSP 2 4 U

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pei-chen

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007
No PSP replacement means the company doesn't want the detailed release yet.

I love the fact that children have to fake their age to get into certain site, yet there is no way to enforce it besides punishing the company.

nine3o

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2008
The PSP is just that, a great piece of hardware (once you install custom firmware).

I seem to play all my old NES, Amiga and PSOne games on it and none of the PSP titles. By far the PSP games are pretty weak, even GoW Chains of Olympus, that was a pure cash grab for fan boys like me :(

G

I'm sorry to hear that. I own a PSP and was really looking for the a PSP 2. I have a lot of time to play on the go, so a portable console makes sense to me. And I prefer the PSP's bigger screen than the DS's smaller ones. I've enjoyed many games on it, including GoW, Sid Meier's Pirates!, Mega Man, Daxter, Echochrome... I also enjoy wathing movies on that thing. As people say: it's a very sexy piece of technology.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
I still can't believe they actually thought people would buy UMD movies. Who would seriously fork out money for a movie that they can only watch on a 6" screen (or whatever size it is)?

antilycus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
one step closer to getting rid of Blu-Ray too. Hurting consumer confidence. Honestly, my prediction is 3 years, blu-ray will be gone.... streaming devices will start to take over the market for monthly fees OR digital downloads to own w/ DRM will...

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
The problem is scope. All these companies try to add crap to overcome their competitors creativety and originality. Look at the nGage, lets create a proprietary gaming platform that can also be used as a phone, if you don't mind holding the device sidways against your head because we added the phone bits as an afterthought, even though Nokia is first and foremost (and only) a phone company.

The PSPs problem was it tried to be a mobile entertainment suite, but it failed on all accounts. No one wants to buy a separate copy of a movie on a proprietary format for a 6-inch screen nor play subpar games nor have subpar internet browsing, nor do they really care that it can play MP3s when their phone and iPod already do that.

Add on to the fact that new smartphones (and even the new iPod touch) offer similar or superior experiences, for an equal or lesser price, and there's really no market for it. I can't explain the DS's success, but I can understand the PSP's failure.

FHDelux

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2008
Oh yeah, well i heard from a guy that knows a guy that the PSP2 is going to be released Q3 '09, have a blu-ray drive, a hard drive and play PS3 games.

See i can do it too, make stuff up and post it as news. Nobody knows the future, esspecially when it comes from Sony, they lie about everything.

G

Although I also think the PSP library could be better, I don't think an iPhone / iPod / iTouch / whichever SmartPhone offers similar / superior experiences. Touch screen? No tactile feedback when pressing a "virtual" button? No analog nub? It may be funny for casual gamers to play pool using the motion sensor, but as a more serious gamer on a shaking bus I take the PSP over any of those (or the DS and its stylus) anyday.

Besides, though it could be better, I still prefer the PSP library over the DS's and the iTunes'.

G

Well I think the PSP's weakness can be summed up in two ways. 1. Cost too much for a portable gaming unit. 2. Hardware issues and is much more fragile than the DS. I've actually dropped my DS onto solid concrete and it still works. Not so sure about the PSP though.

Status
Not open for further replies.