Sony Says PS3 Hackers Will Get Banned Online

Status
Not open for further replies.

tranzz

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
why have a paragraph at the bottom from "Google's One Pass a Tool for Paid World Wide Web " article?

icemunk

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2009
I'm sure we'll see a new online service appear (if it hasn't already) for a hacked playstation network online, ran by hackers, for hackers. You can't stop it Sony, you can only slow it down.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
So first they include Linux to boost sales then remove it because they sold extra consoles for other purposes than gaming and didn't earn money from game sales. And now when people want to get that support back for their console they get banned for what Sony removed in the first place. Is it just me or don't Sony need a big class in how to handle their customers who by the way own their console !?

JD13

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
Then why did they sell the Airforce a cluster of them? I'm sure they aren't using them to play "Little Big Planet".....

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/345642/Air_Force_Taps_PlayStation_3_for_Research

[citation][nom]rantoc[/nom]So first they include Linux to boost sales then remove it because they sold extra consoles for other purposes than gaming and didn't earn money from game sales. And now when people want to get that support back for their console they get banned for what Sony removed in the first place. Is it just me or don't Sony need a big class in how to handle their customers who by the way own their console !?[/citation]

G

Easy solution Sony. Unplug Ethernet cable. Insert Downloaded game. Play.

Not everyone wants to play the game for just Online Multiplayer.

maestintaolius

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]arbelisk[/nom]Easy solution Sony. Unplug Ethernet cable. Insert Downloaded game. Play.Not everyone wants to play the game for just Online Multiplayer.[/citation]
Sadly several (CoD I'm looking at you!) game devs are viewing multiplayer online as an alternative to single player content.

mikem_90

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
[citation][nom]JD13[/nom]Then why did they sell the Airforce a cluster of them? I'm sure they aren't using them to play "Little Big Planet".....http://www.computerworld.com/s/art [...] r_Research[/citation]

The funny thing is that on the deal, Sony likely lost even MORE money since they would have to have sold them at governmental pricing, which is the lowest pricing anyone can get from them. Maybe that was just a publicity stunt. Who knows?

EVILNOD

Distinguished
May 1, 2008
umm.. after i upgrade my HD to 320GB i did put linux in to PS3.
for one.. it hook up to big arse HDTV instead of monitor which me and my family can goto web in living room. however, linux in ps3 are extremely slow running with Gnome or KDE. at the end i give up the idea.

unless you running linux in terminal mode (which normal user dont) you dont miss out much.

and for those ppl who say geohot hack PS3 for piracy, well.. ppl do shit for fun.
i'm too lazy to hack my PS3 (no real reason to) but if it give me little edge such as better sound or gfx?? i surly would.

hacking is not same as crack, learn the difference.

hoofhearted

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
I thought there was some legislation that went though recently that said people are allowed to jailbreak their iPhones. Doesn't this same law apply to PS3 consoles?

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
[citation][nom]chick0n[/nom]Wrong, Linux didn't boost SHIT. most people got it because oh it can run Linux ? surreeee. People got it because they are treating it as their living room entertainment console. but who actually run Linux on PS3 when they can get a 500 bux PC these days that can run Any Linux they want at couple more times the speed ? I have 2 PS3 I don't bitch. Cuz I think Linux is useless on PS3. (hate no edit button)[/citation]

So it didn't do "shit" you say, how come the army for instance bought quite a bunch for a "supercomputing" network and more would have followed and that got Sony scared, they were loosing money on each console sold and still are to my knowledge, they earn the money through the expensive games instead so why sell consoles that wouldn't play games? That is the main reason Sony killed the linux in it and that's the reason some people choose to hack it (don't mix it with crack it - its a complete other thing!)

adamboy64

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
Ah, they're making a profit on the PS3 systems now... have been for a little while.

When they were first produced, the systems cost $849 each to produce, and were selling them for $599. 4 years on, I believe they now cost them around ~$250 each unit to produce.

captaincharisma

Distinguished
[citation][nom]hoofhearted[/nom]I thought there was some legislation that went though recently that said people are allowed to jailbreak their iPhones. Doesn't this same law apply to PS3 consoles?[/citation]

they can mod there console as long as they don't use it online if you do you break the PSN license agreement

EPIC FAIL

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
i bought a ps3 because it had linux.

at the time my computer was slow as hell, parents wouldn't get me a new computer, and couldnt get a job even in summer because of school rules.

so for christmas, i got a ps3, and rationalized a 600$ console as a bluray player, a game console and a better computer than i had.

you want to curb piracy, sell the games with a code in them for online play. i dont mind putting in a 20 digit code to go online with a game, as i never do.

this way ligit home brew can happen. and before you say home brew is a way around to allow piracy, take a look at xbox live indi, all that is basically homebrew. someone in school for game design, who wouldn't look at the ps3, and build a home brew game to show off their competence.

jisamaniac

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2009
Dear Sony,

You broke your user agreement by removing Other OS. For your crimes your entire console has been hacked with the wraith of Thor. Accept your punishment with grace and cease all hostilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.