Sony Sells 321,000 PS Vitas in Two Days

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkavenger123

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
Handheld console is now a dying genre...unless it involves something really new (and good, not gimmick like Nintendo 3DS), it'll have a hard time competing with smartphones, which is just about as powerful as a dedicated console...why want to pay again for another handheld and carry more gadgets around?

To survive handheld consoles need to change their business strategy, 1) App download is the way to go 2) Cheap software...forget about USD50 games retail disc/media...EVER...they'll need to make it back in volume or earn extra via levels upgrade etc.

If not, the handheld console is definitely going to fall. But i see the PS VITA will probably do better than the DS...at least it's less gimmick and has some new control method...which might or might not work.

ThisIsMe

Distinguished
May 15, 2009
So, the first buyers had to update their units as soon as they bought them in order to have a fully working unit? You'd think they would have learned from their PS3 launch that this makes for a bad debut.

fyasko

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2010
having worked at SCEA i can assure everyone that any new product is not ever finished upon release. i bought NFL sunday ticket from the PS3 store, it didn't fully work for 2 weeks.

holdingholder

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2011
[citation][nom]darkavenger123[/nom]Handheld console is now a dying genre...unless it involves something really new (and good, not gimmick like Nintendo 3DS), it'll have a hard time competing with smartphones, which is just about as powerful as a dedicated console...why want to pay again for another handheld and carry more gadgets around?To survive handheld consoles need to change their business strategy, 1) App download is the way to go 2) Cheap software...forget about USD50 games retail disc/media...EVER...they'll need to make it back in volume or earn extra via levels upgrade etc.If not, the handheld console is definitely going to fall. But i see the PS VITA will probably do better than the DS...at least it's less gimmick and has some new control method...which might or might not work.[/citation]
Handheld gaming isn't going anywhere, cell phones have neither the control scheme, nor reliable enough platform (differences in memory, graphics etc.) to compete. The people buying mobile games are a total different demographic than the people that want to play full fledged games on a handheld. The games are rarely 50 bucks either, more like 30-40$ and I believe that the Vita does support downloadable games.

sixdegree

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2011
Unless Sony quickly beefed up their game library, Vita could end up the way 3DS does. Sony and Nintendo seem to forget that the games sells the console, not the other way around.

ikyung

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
[citation][nom]holdingholder[/nom]Handheld gaming isn't going anywhere, cell phones have neither the control scheme, nor reliable enough platform (differences in memory, graphics etc.) to compete. The people buying mobile games are a total different demographic than the people that want to play full fledged games on a handheld. The games are rarely 50 bucks either, more like 30-40$ and I believe that the Vita does support downloadable games.[/citation]
Agreed. People don't buy phones to play games. They buy phones, and the game apps come as a bonus. If the Vita can somehow be connected to a carrier to be used as a phone, I would have no need for my phone I have now.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]darkavenger123[/nom]Handheld console is now a dying genre...unless it involves something really new (and good, not gimmick like Nintendo 3DS), it'll have a hard time competing with smartphones, which is just about as powerful as a dedicated console...why want to pay again for another handheld and carry more gadgets around?To survive handheld consoles need to change their business strategy, 1) App download is the way to go 2) Cheap software...forget about USD50 games retail disc/media...EVER...they'll need to make it back in volume or earn extra via levels upgrade etc.If not, the handheld console is definitely going to fall. But i see the PS VITA will probably do better than the DS...at least it's less gimmick and has some new control method...which might or might not work.[/citation]

apps are for the most part, absolute crap. but the sony store has games that are cheap, but are also well worth the asking price.

the vita and even the 3ds are FAR better for games than any cellphone, as touch screen controls, while can be decent, suck for the majority of games, where an analogue stick and buttons would be such a better option.

if the uncharted game is as good as it looks, they deserve to cost 40-50$
if a 3ds game can pull me in for 80+ hours, i dont care if the graphics aren't the best

i cant name one ios game that i have played that didn't feel like i wasted money... and yes i have played infinity blade, and while its...ok (touch controls are spotty, but that may just be the ipad i was using) its a 20 minute game... its pretty but so not worth the price... about the only game i may like on the ios is simcity, but i cant bring myself to buy it because of ever other ios game being a waste of money, and i don't have an infinite disposable income.

[citation][nom]sixdegree[/nom]Unless Sony quickly beefed up their game library, Vita could end up the way 3DS does. Sony and Nintendo seem to forget that the games sells the console, not the other way around.[/citation]

exactly. its sad the 3ds fell in price so fast when just 1 system seller game would have made up for the lack of sales. but this is a early report, wait 2 months, and than 6, if games come out that are REALLY good, and the systems still fails to sell, something is wrong.

[citation][nom]ikyung[/nom]Agreed. People don't buy phones to play games. They buy phones, and the game apps come as a bonus. If the Vita can somehow be connected to a carrier to be used as a phone, I would have no need for my phone I have now.[/citation]

the iphone, and any smart phone, want to have a word with you... you remember how they stoped talking about how you can make a phone call on them... right?

G

PlayStation Vita is well equipped with an intuitive touch interface, wide range of 24 games, impressive graphics, wireless connectivity and much more.....

http://mirolta.com/2011/12/21/sony-launches-playstation-vita-in-japan-sold-321000-units-in-two-days/

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
[citation][nom]darkavenger123[/nom]Handheld console is now a dying genre...unless it involves something really new (and good, not gimmick like Nintendo 3DS), it'll have a hard time competing with smartphones, which is just about as powerful as a dedicated console... ~~[/citation]
Er... No. The same reason I bought a Wii for my son is why I will buy a portable game unit rather than a $400 phone.

The form factor of smart phones sucks for many types of games. The battery life on a phone gets sapped out from the games and then it's useless for a phone. I played angry birds on my android and hat simple game kills the battery, I'd play it tethered to an ad adapter. Not fun.

A $100~130 game boy ds works great for kids... Not something many adults are interested in.

Status
Not open for further replies.