Sony Shows Off Cool, Neat Flexible Epaper Display

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parsian

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2007
this is all cool... Would be awesome to have it roll up into a small container so you can wear it as a watch and pull it out and do your thing and roll it again...

mr_tuel

Distinguished
May 23, 2009
I say that by the end of this decade, we will see more mature flexible e-paper that is closer to the dead-tree variety in terms of reliability. In other words, by 2020, we may see e-maps that can unfold like the paper ones, but you can move the data on the map like on Google maps. Forgot what movie I saw that in, by i think it will be possible by 2020. Keep up the good work, Sony!

dark_knight33

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
[citation][nom]mr_tuel[/nom]I say that by the end of this decade, we will see more mature flexible e-paper that is closer to the dead-tree variety in terms of reliability. In other words, by 2020, we may see e-maps that can unfold like the paper ones, but you can move the data on the map like on Google maps. Forgot what movie I saw that in, by i think it will be possible by 2020. Keep up the good work, Sony![/citation]

Babylon AD Vin Diesel's Character "Turop" Pulls out what looks to be like a folded map, but then does way point routing, and pinch zooming on it. Very cool practical application of this technology, when it reached the necessary maturity.

Cyex

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2002
[citation][nom]mr_tuel[/nom]I say that by the end of this decade...[/citation]
Whilst I agree with your overall sentiments, the end of this decade is only 3 months away.

1st decade: Jan 1st, year 1 through to Dec 31st, year 10.
201st decade (this one): Jan 1st, year 2001 through to Dec 31st, year 2010.

There was no year 0.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]Albyint[/nom]That would be a wicked tablet at some point......[/citation]

An e-ink tablet? I always wanted to travel back through time and experience computers in black and gray...

stevo777

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2008
This seems pretty amazing to me. To think, only about 10 years ago, tv's and such were incredibly bulky. To shrink such things down to not much more than the width of paper this rapidly is pretty remarkable if you stop and think about it.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]husker[/nom]Why do they assume we want to roll them up? In what way would that be at all convenient?[/citation]
Imagine a pen, that you open up like a scroll
When you finish using it you can reduce its size
smaller = better

KingArcher

Distinguished
May 19, 2010
I like the concept of thin, flexible displays but not for rolling 'em up. I'd also like them to be transparent. This would make an amazing screen that could be pasted on our car windshields and have a display and the same time see through.
Then have a camera monitor our eye movements to activate options displayed.
This isn't too far fetched to create. What do you guys think?

G

I think this is an interesting idea but I really wouldn't want an eInk screen that would be as flexible as reading a newspaper. Besides the flexible plastic surface looks like it shows considerable glare off of the lighting in that picture.

Great to see advances to this technology. This has potentially hundreds of uses. Maps, HUDs, Window Displays & I-Newspapers (coudlnt help myself) to name a few.

Now all we need them to do is make it resistant to rolling it up & develop a battery/wireless system that isnt bulky.

Status
Not open for further replies.