Sony Stops Making Cassette Walkmans in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.

stridervm

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2008
Because every country is not cutting edge.....

Seriously though it's for the Radio I guess, some people just prefer a specific device for a specific purpose, like my mom, she refuses to use a cellphone for music, she specifically only uses her cell for calling.

liveonc

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2008
That looks yummy! So now they're going old school & sending a Geisha to sing the songs for you? But how can she sing if you're jogging & in much better shape then her?

Haserath

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
[citation][nom]liveonc[/nom]That looks yummy! So now they're going old school & sending a Geisha to sing the songs for you? But how can she sing if you're jogging & in much better shape then her?[/citation]
Yea, not to mention the motion isn't too great for singing either, but I think they're going to get more sells anyway ;)

chickenhoagie

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
they're stopping production of the cassette walkman already? it just came out in stores..wtf..

what are they stopping production of next? the brand new Commodore series computers?

nexus9113

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2010
[citation][nom]Albyint[/nom]What is a cassette?[/citation]

I would thumb this up if I was sure you were being sarcastic.

I asked a 6th grader the other day if they knew what a VHS tape was, they said "What's that? Oooh, are they those big things (waving her arms waay out of proportion) that you had to spin with your hands?" And my reply: "Only if the VCR tried to eat it." Her face :O

G

WOW!
The good thing was that those walkmans had a very good battery life time.
Current MP3 players on the market barely get 5 to 6 hours. If you're lucky you get one that lasts over 10.

I usually got more than 24hrs on my walkman, it'd provide me battery for more than a whole week, with several hours of listening per day.

JerseyFirefighter

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
"I usually got more than 24hrs on my walkman, it'd provide me battery for more than a whole week, with several hours of listening per day."

Thats because most of the time you were listening you were flipping the tape over and hitting fast forward to rewind the other side.

nativeson8803

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
I saw a bum with a yellow "sport" Walkman just yesterday. I thought about asking him if I could buy it, but then it would just be more junk around my house of course it was dirty. I never had the sport walkman as a kid because it was so expensive, but I have a regular one and that was so great to get my own thing.

Thunderfox

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2006
[citation][nom]JerseyFirefighter[/nom]"I usually got more than 24hrs on my walkman, it'd provide me battery for more than a whole week, with several hours of listening per day."Thats because most of the time you were listening you were flipping the tape over and hitting fast forward to rewind the other side.[/citation]

+1 for the concept reference, but that was only on cheap Walgreens tape players. Part of the reason you wanted a Walkman was to have all four buttons.

rbarone69

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
I was a little pissed when they stopped making the backpack turn table too... Now that I've converted all my records to tape, guess I'll have to convert to laser disc now (was trying to avoid that).

Where can I buy a portable laser disc player?

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
[citation][nom]nexus9113[/nom]I would thumb this up if I was sure you were being sarcastic.I asked a 6th grader the other day if they knew what a VHS tape was, they said "What's that? Oooh, are they those big things (waving her arms waay out of proportion) that you had to spin with your hands?" And my reply: "Only if the VCR tried to eat it." Her face[/citation]

And this is something I simply cannot understand. I'm
certainly not old yet and certainly not old enough to
have experienced many inventions like the telegraph
yet not only do I know of it but I understand the
invention and get the general idea of how and why it works.

Why is it that people my age know about these things even
if the invention in question was way before we were even alive. Yet if less than a decade is shaved off my age the majority seem to be completely ignorant about the existence of commonly used things in recent history.

I don't blame the kids that don't know about these things however.
Mass ignorance is a clear sign of a failure to educate and this is
the fault of the previous generations not the current.

Status
Not open for further replies.