Sony STR-DN1080, 5.1 surround back speakers don't work even though they work in the setup using test tone.

Apr 2, 2018
I have a 5.1 surround setup in the ceiling with 3 speakers in the front and 2 in the back. During the setup process all 5 speakers are recognized and even using the manual test tone option they all produce sound. However, when I play a Dolby 5.1 sound test from YouTube, when its time for the surround back speakers to make noise, the sound comes out of the front left and right. essentially it acts like a 3.1 system. I thought it was a YouTube thing so I found an mp3 file for the 5.1 test and still the same result. I checked the setting on my older Vizio 1080p TV and it is set for surround sound. I need help, this is the 1st surround sound system that I have ever had so I have no clue what could cause this issue...

Do you get surround sound from sources other than the PC? Find an HD channel with a action movie and listen.
If that works then the issue is the PC. Check all the settings in the audio AND the video control panel. That can affect audio over HDMI.
Is the AVR set to Dolby or Dolby Digital?
You don't mention how the AVR is connected.
PC to TV to AVR?
Try PC to AVR to TV.

Apr 2, 2018

Thank you for you're response, I have this setup in the living room with my receiver connected to the TV by HDMI arc. There is no computer involved. I was casting the 5.1 test video from my phone to the receiver from YouTube. Last night I tried downloading an audio file to a USB drive and played it on the receiver but the results were the same.