Sony Subpoenas Geohot's PayPal Records

Status
Not open for further replies.

chick0n

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
Hmm

So I visited GeoHotz site, more than once, youtube, whatever. am I gonna get sued? lol

They probably tries to track down who is working with him.

HappyBB

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2008
Sony, you have fxcking crossed the line! You are invading others' privacy for your own gain and benefits! When I buy a PS3 one day, I will definitely modify my system and buy copied games instead of giving you any additional money!!

hotelromeo

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2011
George Hotz, hero to the wonderful world of piracy, wannabe hackers and over all second rate techie scum. It's criminals like him that create price hikes and launch delays. 1,432,622 people can't be wrong, right? Wrong. Sony's YouTube reply from the lawyers, "Slamdunk Punk".

hotelromeo

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2011
[citation][nom]HappyBB[/nom]Sony, you have fxcking crossed the line! You are invading others' privacy for your own gain and benefits! When I buy a PS3 one day, I will definitely modify my system and buy copied games instead of giving you any additional money!![/citation]

Good luck, maybe you and George can bunk together for the next 20.

jalek

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007
Sony wants to know if you've even visited a news site that linked to one of his videos?
Being Sony, they'll probably run IP blocks on all addresses and not notice or care how many unrelated people they hit.

I guess I'm showing my age by saying that I remember when Sony had a good reputation.

tramit

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009
Does anyone know why Nintendo stayed in business and Atari went out of business? The reason was that Nintendo regulated its goods by preventing piracy that was wide spread with Atari games. This is no different. Most people who hack their PS3 are most likely doing it to pirate games/media. Don't beat around the bush by saying you are hacking it for usability. Those that want to hack for a legit reason are far outnumbered by people who use these hacks for pirating means.

hotelromeo

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2011
[citation][nom]Jalek[/nom]Sony wants to know if you've even visited a news site that linked to one of his videos? Being Sony, they'll probably run IP blocks on all addresses and not notice or care how many unrelated people they hit.I guess I'm showing my age by saying that I remember when Sony had a good reputation.[/citation]

If these ignorant punks like George wouldn't openly pollute their Frankenstein experiments all over the web that might help too. Difference between a brilliant mind like Hotz and someone like Bill Gates is Gates didn't get caught. Hotz is your typical "need to be loved" punk kid that used his abilities to gain attention and guess what, he got and now he gets to swim in it. Hotz could have reverse engineered the PS3 and worked for Google, instead his ZERO common sense kept him in a basement and soon in court. But you can all help by paying his legal fees, show your love.

kingnoobe

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
Ya tranmit you're so smart.. O wait nintendo smoked atari in terms of graphics and gameplay with the nintendo. The jaugar could've been a hit but the controller was akward, and they didn't have enough games. O wait just like the same reason the dreamcast failed. Although the piracy excuse did at least have a leg to stand on durning that time. But before that I don't think so. It was no where near as wipe spread in the time of the atari or regular nintendo.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]tramit[/nom]Does anyone know why Nintendo stayed in business and Atari went out of business? The reason was that Nintendo regulated its goods by preventing piracy that was wide spread with Atari games. This is no different. Most people who hack their PS3 are most likely doing it to pirate games/media. Don't beat around the bush by saying you are hacking it for usability. Those that want to hack for a legit reason are far outnumbered by people who use these hacks for pirating means.[/citation]

the comfort of the many doesn't outweigh the rights of the few...
i believe thats in out constitution somewhere.

we also have guns, just because they can kill someone doesn't mean they will.

idlerp

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
[citation][nom]tramit[/nom]Does anyone know why Nintendo stayed in business and Atari went out of business? The reason was that Nintendo regulated its goods by preventing piracy that was wide spread with Atari games. This is no different. Most people who hack their PS3 are most likely doing it to pirate games/media. Don't beat around the bush by saying you are hacking it for usability. Those that want to hack for a legit reason are far outnumbered by people who use these hacks for pirating means.[/citation]

I wish I have the fortitude that you seem to have, rewriting history as you see fit and all. The video game crash that caused Atari to bankrupt happened before Nintendo ever released the Famicom/NES. It also had nothing to do with piracy, it was caused by the market being flooded by numerous consoles and horribly developed games. If there was piracy, it would have actually had to have been counterfeiting at the commercial level, as the home user wouldn't have had the ability to copy EPROMs in 1983.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]idlerp[/nom]I wish I have the fortitude that you seem to have, rewriting history as you see fit and all. The video game crash that caused Atari to bankrupt happened before Nintendo ever released the Famicom/NES. It also had nothing to do with piracy, it was caused by the market being flooded by numerous consoles and horribly developed games. If there was piracy, it would have actually had to have been counterfeiting at the commercial level, as the home user wouldn't have had the ability to copy EPROMs in 1983.[/citation]

the piracy back than was pc, and back than, right next to the games, were blank floppy discs, piracy (the kind that mpaa/riaa wants you to believe happen everywhere, counterfeiting) was more rampant back than than now.

tramit

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009
Ok, forget the Nintendo speal. I briefly read about it from magazine months ago and maybe my recollection is a little bad. It was an article from a Strategic Management case study. I apologize for the misinformation. But back to the main topic or my initial statement, pirating is bad. The user agreement that comes with these products is a like a license given to us by the producer in my eyes and some are more strict about enforcing it. Some don't enforce it because it could get costly. @alidan if it weren't for the user agreement I would agree with you that we could do whatever we want with what we have.

I did not grow up learning much about gaming consoles and thank you idlerp for enlightening me further about what happened long ago. I do believe though that the Atari might of had better hardware and that the NES/Famicon had better optimized games instead of diluted garbage that was being pumped out for the Atari. Can anyone chime in on this?

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]Jalek[/nom]Sony wants to know if you've even visited a news site that linked to one of his videos? Being Sony, they'll probably run IP blocks on all addresses and not notice or care how many unrelated people they hit.I guess I'm showing my age by saying that I remember when Sony had a good reputation.[/citation]
they lost that a long time ago with that root kit crap

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]Blessedman[/nom]Soooo anyone who shows how to pick a master lock should be subpoenaed and charged with what?[/citation]

i uses a thin piece of strong metal and pry them open.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]kingnoobe[/nom]Ya tranmit you're so smart.. O wait nintendo smoked atari in terms of graphics and gameplay with the nintendo. The jaugar could've been a hit but the controller was akward, and they didn't have enough games. O wait just like the same reason the dreamcast failed. Although the piracy excuse did at least have a leg to stand on durning that time. But before that I don't think so. It was no where near as wipe spread in the time of the atari or regular nintendo.[/citation]

dream cast failed because of segas incompetence. they had 7 SYSTEMS being manufactured around the world at the same time, and being developed for. the dream cast's controler is actualy very comfortable and well made if you ever used it, like the game cubes, it was new and different for its time but did a good job.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
They can't block every single address that has visited Geohot's site. Almost all connections to the web obtain the IP address dynamically, so they would most likely be banning people that had never visited his site.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
I guess this is the reason that the PS3 is the console that is doing best financially...

Status
Not open for further replies.